The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Need opinions please

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
by Ronda on May 09, 2006 11:55 AM
Hi,
Double Roses, pink cushion trees
Angel Trumpet
Daisy tree, White or yellow

I am thinking about buying some of these and planting them in large wood barrel containers. I just wanted some expert opinions. Are they easy to grow? Do they need a lot of work? Any tips on the above flowers?
I am in zone 5 and they will be in full sun.

Thank you for your help

Ronda

Ronda
by RugbyHukr on May 10, 2006 03:11 AM
Angel Trumpet & Daisy tree are warm climate plants, they would be great for barrels so you can bring them inside over winter.

-
I love the sweet scents wafting in the breeze. I stop to admire the vibrant colors of all living things. And people think me odd. Then ODD I am!!!

http://community.webshots.com/user/flugnash
by twwright on May 21, 2006 11:46 PM
I grow the Angel Trumpets here in Texas and they thrive. Bloom after pink bloom. This year was the first year that they came back after a winter. I was so excited I didn't have to start over. This year the plant was much more prolific with blooms. Not sure what you mean by "Double Roses", Rose bushes or Impatiens or what?? The Pin Cushions are beautiful too. I have a light blue variety that blooms like crazy. This one seems to do better in a container than in the ground. Perhaps it's me??? Ha ha ha
by Questbest on May 22, 2006 01:23 PM
I think that the angel trumpet will do well for you-I got an apricot coloured one last year but the nursery neglected to tell me to winter it indoors so of course I lost it.I think your double roses should be planted in rose beds so you can protect them properly over the winter if need be.Roses I don't think should be in containers-they need to be fed and protected properly.Impatiens would do nice for you if in shade and could be double or single.These would bloom profusely all summer-my husband gave me my first impatiens plant after being away from each other for 2 wks.It was a doulbe pink one and he said it was becasuse he was "impatient for me to get back home after my visit to my parents ".I still love these.

Linda
by dodge on May 22, 2006 03:27 PM
Questbest ,

Do you happen to have seeds from the double Imp?

I am hunting far an near for double imps.

DOdge

-
 -
''''Those who live in the Lord Never See Each Other For The Last Time!''''
by dodge on May 22, 2006 03:30 PM
Ronda
Those barrels are large for indoors..Trees are too an take a lot of room for inside.
petunias would be nice.
Or salvias with trailing vines that go over the sides.

dodge

-
 -
by sad1199 on May 22, 2006 03:36 PM
I don't know what zone I'm in, but it's the desert and I have fabulous daisies. They love full sun! I don't use barrels though, because I like my plants to have as much root growth as possible. Good luck!

Have a happy, loved filled day!!
by dodge on May 22, 2006 03:42 PM
sad

You smart.. Your area is desert.. More roots, the further downt they can draw water. I have a friend in calif ...She tells me the stories of sandy growing. but she does have a great show of flowers. Across from Ronald Reagan library.
She has sent me gorgous plants and seeds, and most of them grow. I am zone 5.....Much colder.
And true the warm areas plants must come in over winter.

dodge

-
 -

Active Garden Forum