The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

help needed raised beds

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2004
« Prev thread: Help Needed on my dying plant!| Next thread: help on ground cover »
Back to Thread index
by draculaAG on April 21, 2004 10:06 PM
Some friends of mine and myself have a "community" garden we started last year. This year we are trying to add a raised bed for our carrots,onions potatoes,etc.
We have a large amount of brick we are TRYING to use but keep running into problems with our walls staying up. Does anyone have a safe semi permanent solution? The garden is on some elses property so we dont have the option of using concrete to hold the bricks permanently.
Any tips or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks [gabby]

ORGANIC GARDENERS DO IT IN THE DIRT....NATURALLY!
by Jiffymouse on April 22, 2004 12:50 AM
i would use rebar in the holes of the bricks. kinda like stacking rings on a stick.
by draculaAG on April 22, 2004 04:57 AM
Thanks for the advice,unfortunately these bricks are from an old torn doen building and have no holes,however we may use rebar on the inside and outside of the wall to keep it from falling.
Thanks Again! [thumb]

ORGANIC GARDENERS DO IT IN THE DIRT....NATURALLY!
by papito on April 22, 2004 06:34 PM
You didn't mention the size of the brick. How high is the raise bed going to be or how many layers of brick are you thinking about?

Can the bricks be arranged (standing) at their ends, like 1/3 below ground and 2/3 above ground and reinforce the outside wall with more bricks laid end to end around the perimeter?

-
 -

Amor est vitae essentia.
Love is the essence of life.
by Phil and Laura on April 25, 2004 07:29 PM
Hey Drac! Whats the AG stand for? [dunno] Say since you have the brick, I can't save you any work; However, I invite You and EVERYONE to View the Raised Bed Pics at the link below(or heck, all the albums) I have made raised beds like this since 79, when I lived along a highway on the edge of town, People would stop and ask me: Who Ya got Buried in there? [Big Grin]
they hold up and if you look in the 2004 Garden album, you will see them after a really hard rain!
PLEASE SIGN OUR GUEST BOOK!!!
Raised Beds (passive)
by Chrissy on April 26, 2004 05:26 AM
Phil & Laura, your raised beds look great! I have made many of mine with rocks too:) Cheaper than buying edging & so easy.

P.S.> I signed your guestbook [Wink]

-
 -
z5b

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Help Needed on my dying plant!| Next thread: help on ground cover »
Back to Thread index