The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

African Violet turning brown....

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2005
by Amber Petersen on October 04, 2005 12:19 AM
I have an african violet in a south facing window. A couple of the leaves are turning brown. Is this because it should be in "bright light" instead of direct sun, or maybe because the window is drafty and it's cold?

-
Amber
by Sorathien on October 04, 2005 12:25 AM
african violets HATE direct sun. they get sunburned very easily. they prefer north-facing windows or indirect light.
by Jiffymouse on October 04, 2005 02:06 AM
they are also moody about drafts and cold. so your problem could be either.
by Amber Petersen on October 04, 2005 03:38 AM
Excellent. The plant will be moved.
Thanks

-
Amber
by Spider Lady on October 06, 2005 08:27 AM
Hi Amber [wayey]
I could never grow Violets & I loved them so much too! Now I have had one for over a year--a record for me AND it is flowering regularly. I always water it from the bottom, have put some stones in the outside pot for the plant pot to sit on because I read where it doesn't like to sit in the water & move it as the sun moves around the house. No more brown curling tips. Good Luck!!
Lynne
by Spider Lady on October 06, 2005 08:29 AM
I just noticed that Amber is from Charlottetown, PEI. We traveled there in 1998 & just loved it! I would love to go there again. Just loved that red dirt & the fact that things were closed on Sun.
Lynne
by Sorathien on October 06, 2005 12:11 PM
that's odd, because my african violets just grow like weeds. i lost a few because i was VERY busy for several months and forgot about them, they dried up and died. then i had one that i was trying to pull some dead leaves off, and the healthy part just snapped right off. i put them in water, because they WILL grow back, but my retarded cat thought they would be fun to play with and destroyed them >.<

anyway, all i do is keep them in bright-med indirect light, and keep them watered with fertilizer. nothing special, and they grow and bloom like crazy. they're really not that hard to take care of. i've had almost nothing but african violets for 10 years and they do great for me with minimal attention.
by Amber Petersen on October 07, 2005 03:32 AM
Yea, I'm from the Island- I get sick of it sometimes (it's very quite) but in the summer it is really beautiful. I had the plant at work, and decided to take it home because I have a window that doesn't let in much sun but it's bright for quite a few hours a day. I think it might do well there. I think I'll try your rock in the bottom of the pot idea... my sister-in-law will be moving back to the island in a few months and I want to keep it healthy in case she wants it back...I'm hoping not though...heehee

-
Amber
by dodge on October 08, 2005 01:43 AM
[wayey]
Wish me luck......Some one sent me 11..Only one died......It had white leaves, and now I pine for the lost one. Called "Blue Masterpiece"..Any one have that one, i can give seeds for one.
[Love]
dodge

-
 -
''''Those who live in the Lord Never See Each Other For The Last Time!''''
by njoynit on October 11, 2005 12:11 AM
you can also grow them under glass or set them in jar to help with humidity.I let my babies drown in the rains in the spring,but was rooting some leaves so did not actually "totally" lose my plants.but traded some of the babies rooted so have no idea if keept one of the same or different,but will know once they bloom.I water root my leaves,these are minis and have one regular type violet,but has been a shy bloomer& also just found it knocked out so its now returned to the land of the liveing.it only lost 1 leaf and was quiet dry.
I'll soon be wicking my babies,when I get to it.I'm still undecied if should wait till they bloom?they are currently grwoing in creamer cups(pretty blue pots...french vanillia international creamer recycle!perfect size too boot!)

-
 -
I will age ungracefully until I become an old woman in a small garden..doing whatever the Hell I want!

http://community.webshots.com/user/njoynit03
http://community.webshots.com/user/njoynit
http://photos.yahoo.com/njoynit03

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: