The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Pippin apple - where are you???

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2004
« Prev thread: Pink Rose Buds| Next thread: PISTACHIO KIWI PIE »
Back to Thread index
by Jon on April 13, 2004 02:47 PM
I've exhausted my local nurseries - and one of them really tries to get "special orders" for customers. I was told two days ago by the owner - "sorry, we just are not going to be able to get the Pippin and Winesap apples for you." Of course, then he went on to ask why I had to be so particular when certain other apples do better here. "It's not for me, my mother wants them - she's 67 and well, I'm going to get them for her."

I've had some not so good luck and know others who have also had poor luck with ordering online or from catalogs - - here in the desert. Never had that problem before, though - but also did not depend on "mail order".

I found the winesap through the National Arbor Society (albeit - it will be way young) and I would prefer a more developed tree.

But on the Pippin - - no luck yet even trying online shopping. Does anyone know of a supplier that I might be able to get the Pippen through - - and that is very reputable?

I do know that both the Pippen and Winesap - per the Western Garden Book is rated as doing well in the area. (The Western Garden Book - for those not familiar - breaks down the Western States into more intricate agri zones than others do.)

Thanks

Jon
by obywan59 on April 13, 2004 05:12 PM
I'm not from the desert, but I have 13 apple trees and my favorite nursery is Southmeadow Fruit Gardens from Michigan. I've purchased 6 apple trees from them. They have Cox's Orange Pippen (some say the best tasting apple ever), Golden Pippen, Kerry Pippin, Newtown Pippen, and St. Edmund's Pippen; also a couple of Winesaps. They have 3 sizes of trees. 1 year old trees for $20, branched trees for $24 and bearing-age trees for $29. Southmeadow Fruit Gardens

-
Terry

May the force be with you
by papito on April 14, 2004 04:01 PM
Jon,

We purchased our fruits/berry trees from a local nursery, but the Western Garden Book lists two nurseries (on page 600 or so)for Fruits, Nuts and Berries. One is in Canby , Oregon and the other in Morton, Washington.

-
 -

Amor est vitae essentia.
Love is the essence of life.
by hisgal2 on April 18, 2004 04:55 PM
I've never heard of the Pippen. What does it taste like???...and look like??

-
 -

-
by Jon on April 19, 2004 08:58 AM
Jennifer - hi. Up until the post by Obywan, I did not know that there were different kinds of Pippen apples - - all I had seen was "Newton Pippen" and knew that it was a greenish apple and the only kind of apple my mother likes to use in her apple pie. I've never eaten one outside of the pie so would not really be able to explain its taste. In the pie, it holds texture and tartness better than other apples seem to - at least of the apples mom has tried. To me, an apple is an apple (hears the gasps of the apple lovers worldover - how dare he utter such a sacrilidge - smile).

Obywan, thank you for posting the site for Southmeadow Fruit Gardens and your positive experience with them. It was rather interesting going through their site and seeing how long they have been in business. The personal recommendation means a lot - especially given that I've heard negative from other people about other mail order places. Now, to get mom to decide which tree(s) she wants.

Papito - thank you for pointing out that I had overlooked that portion of the Western Garden Book. I had seen the write ups on the various aboretums and such - but must have missed the info on mail order places. I'll also check into them for more info - and if I order from them - will let you know how the "service" was.

Jon

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Pink Rose Buds| Next thread: PISTACHIO KIWI PIE »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: