The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Cyclamen and cactuses

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2005
« Prev thread: Cyclamen| Next thread: Cyclamen from seed »
Back to Thread index
by Sorathien on September 27, 2005 08:59 AM
just need some general info on cyclamen. i read on this website that they need humidity, relatively cool temps, and in the spring/summer the foliage should be cut back and the tuber should be planted outside until august when they begin to spout, then transplant into a pot, but leave outside until early fall when it can be brought back indoors.

is this good advice?

as for the cactus, i have a small cactus, no idea what kind it is, the longest stalk is about 6" and about an inch and a half thick, the stalk is circular, and it's got several baby stalks around the base.

it's in a small pot, about 3". i only water it very sparingly, maybe once every two months, and it seems to be doing fine. is this alright? is there anything i should be doing? the soil seems dry and hard, and sometimes i wonder how it's still alive....
by Jiffymouse on September 27, 2005 09:24 AM
as for the cyclamen, that is perfect advice.

and your cactus would not get babies if it wasn't happy, so you must be doing it right.
by Sorathien on September 27, 2005 09:31 AM
yeah, i thought the pot was really ugly, but i wasn't quite sure how to go about repotting a cactus, as i've never done it before, i would assume it would require gloves, so i just bought a prettier pot that was just a little larger, and set the old pot inside the new pot, lol.
by Jiffymouse on September 27, 2005 09:44 AM
that is a good way to do it. another way to do it is to use a triple piece of newspaper to handle the cactus with.
by tkhooper on September 27, 2005 10:14 PM
If it has the really long spines I vote for tongs lol.
by Jiffymouse on September 29, 2005 06:05 AM
tk, i've donethat too! [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Cyclamen| Next thread: Cyclamen from seed »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: