The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

new gardener worried about freeze

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2004
« Prev thread: New Gardener's ?sss| Next thread: New growth »
Back to Thread index
by crittergitter3 on March 23, 2004 12:46 AM
i just planted my daughter's veggie garden and noe the weather man is calling for about 28 degrees over nite what can i do to save her garden?????????
by foliagefreak on March 23, 2004 01:51 AM
I just finished scrambling to get everything covered with plastic. I just planted all my seedlings last week. I started them from seed a few weeks back. [Mad] I guess its my fault for getting started too early but for the last two weeks I have been wearing shorts and actually breaking a sweat tilling the garden. Oh well I can always get more peat pellets and start over.
by weezie13 on March 23, 2004 01:52 AM
Hi,
If the plants are a little big,
go to a store, like the $1.00 store,
that sells, cheap big plastic see thru storage tubs, and you can put a few of those over the plants,

Cut pop bottle tops off and put over the tops
of the new plants.

We used to put news paper over our tomatoes,
or card board boxes, anything with an insulation
factor...
Bubble wrap if you have enough of it!!!

Weezie

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/
by Phil and Laura on March 23, 2004 02:17 AM
YIKES! Wish I had that problem though, but no luck in Mn. You must have plants out, follow Weezie's advice, do you have any straw? something to sprinkle over them, ]bed sheets, You Can do it, we're rooting for ya! [wayey]
by Jiffymouse on March 23, 2004 02:37 AM
i'm with you on the late chilling crittergitter. i have just covered all mine with sheets that i propped just off the plants with whatever i could find. they did good last night. we'll see how tonight goes!
by Phil and Laura on March 24, 2004 03:11 AM
HEY....Don't leave me hangin" ! [Big Grin] Did the wee ones SURVIVE?? [gabby] Has the weather warmed, Hey, this is the closest I get to DRAMA!!!
by Jiffymouse on March 24, 2004 04:35 AM
ok, they were fine yesterday, but my son covered them last night and he didn't do a very good job. so some of them were a little wilted today. i covered them again tonight (supposed to be in the upper 30's) for good measure and we'll see how tomorrow goes. how about you crittergitter?
by Jiffymouse on March 25, 2004 04:24 PM
ok critter gitter, how did your plants fare? i only lost one, my cucumber. so i am thankful!
by loz on March 25, 2004 07:30 PM
Wow, I wish we could start planting here already....problem is our last frost can come in May.....so I have to make do with tending to my seeds for now.....but I'll tell you I'm so ready.....I just have pictures of the 17 year cicadas divebombing my head while I'm out doing my planting.....lol They come up in May. Which is my prime planting time..... [Frown]

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: New Gardener's ?sss| Next thread: New growth »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: