The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Crawling Ivy????

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: Crape Myrtles| Next thread: Crazy Jade »
Back to Thread index
by Rosepetal on May 05, 2006 09:02 AM
Hi All [Smile]
We have an old tree in our yard that has lost its ability to be anything but a big stump. We are not planning on removing it as of this year, and I'm wondering if I could plant something around it that would crawl up this tree and make it look a bit "green" this summer. [Big Grin]
Does anyone have any suggestions? [gabby]

-
 -
For this "New Year" help me to be kinder and more loving to all around me, I pray.
by joclyn on May 05, 2006 09:20 AM
ivy would be good...and it's a quick grower.

there's also clematis or trumpet vines. they are also quick growers...sometimes they take a bit to really fill out tho.
by netty on May 05, 2006 10:54 AM
How about some Morning Glory?

-
 -
by Rosepetal on May 05, 2006 04:16 PM
OHHHH, [grin] that sounds like a good idea. [thumb]
Would they hang on to the tree well enough with the high winds we have around here? [scaredy]

-
 -
For this "New Year" help me to be kinder and more loving to all around me, I pray.
by Pianolady on May 05, 2006 04:24 PM
If you are planning to remove it later, I'd recommend avoiding English ivy. I planted some under my tree, and I just finished tearing out about 400 square feet of it. It spread everywhere in a matter of a few years (and I'll probably be pulling it out for the next few years). Not worth it to cover a tree you're planning to get rid of anyway. I'd stick with an annual vine of some sort.

-
by Rosepetal on May 06, 2006 12:45 PM
Good thought, even though we may not tear the tree out its probably best to stick to an annual vine. Thing is I know so little about vines, can you help me with a few names of annual vines. Maybe some without flowers I was thinking.

-
 -
by Pianolady on May 06, 2006 04:10 PM
Something like Sweet Autumn clematis might be good. You have to cut it back each spring anyway, and if you decide you need to move it, that would be a good time to do it. It's vigorous and could cover your tree in one season.

I picked up something new this year, it's a black-eyed susan vine. I'd never seen it before, and it's an annual vine here in zone 4b. Morning glory vines are also annual for me. Of course, both the above mentioned vines flower.

You could try something like hyacinth bean or climbing spinach. That would be different.

-
by Rosepetal on May 08, 2006 09:26 AM
Now that's a thought!!!

I'll have to be a bit careful to get a strong clinging vine. Our tree stands out in the open where the wind hits it with direct force.

You should hear the wind here the last few days, what a howl it has, hopefully it settles down once I plant the garden.

-
 -

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Crape Myrtles| Next thread: Crazy Jade »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: