The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Indoor Banana and Palm Help

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2005
by Tim F. on September 25, 2005 10:14 PM
I have a dwarf banana that is roughly a year old. It stands at 3 feet tall with nice steady growth all summer. Now I am starting to get brown edges on the leaves and I'm not sure why that is happening. I keep the soil moist, but not overly wet. I also have some sort of palm tree that has the same issue.

Can anyone give a suggestion as to what I can to to help these plants?
Thanks
by Jiffymouse on September 26, 2005 12:55 AM
well, i think i'd put them in a pebble tray of water. the way that works is you get a tray 1-2 inches deep and larger than the pot that the plant is in. then, you put pebbles or rocks (or whatever) in the tray, fill it with water, and sit the plant on the rocks so that the plant's pot isn't touching the water. then, when the water evaporates, it moistens the plant. those plants are used to a high relative humidity (80% or higher, sometimes 95% or even 100%). very few homes have humity that high ("comfortable" is around 60%) and during winter months, most homes are actually dry.
by BrysonK on September 26, 2005 04:18 AM
Same thing happened to me. Found out it was because i had too much heat/direct sunlight, and not enough humidity.

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: