The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Odd jade plant growth

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2005
« Prev thread: Odd Coneflower| Next thread: odd little "fuzzy spheres" in dirt »
Back to Thread index
by Black Tulip on September 21, 2005 04:27 AM
I've had my jade plant for about 3 years now, and today I noticed some white, spiky growths sprouting from the edges of some of the leaves, but only on one branch. Now, these definitely don't look like the blooms are ever described. Is my plant trying to grow new roots on one branch or what? I'm completely clueless on this.
 -
by Jiffymouse on September 21, 2005 10:58 AM
yep, your plant is sending out what is commonly called air roots. if they come in contact with soil, they will root and you will have a secondary plant.
by Black Tulip on September 21, 2005 12:22 PM
Thanks [Smile] I'll try planting it then
by Jiffymouse on September 21, 2005 10:08 PM
just don't wanter it more than you water the mother plant. if you do, it'll rot instead of growning. it might shrivel a little, but it'll be ok.
by Karamy on September 22, 2005 03:26 PM
I read somewhere that aerial roots on a Jade plant indicate that the plant is being over-watered.....and those are definitely roots in the picture.
by Black Tulip on September 26, 2005 04:15 AM
Hrm..I only water my plant about once every 2 weeks.
by Jiffymouse on September 26, 2005 05:13 AM
well, i've never heard that, and usually, if you have a jade that is over watered, they get mushy and rot at the base of the stem.
by Karamy on September 28, 2005 12:58 AM
I read this in "The Guide to Houseplants" by Maggie Stuckey, illus. by Tamara Durbin Brown. Exact quote: "...jade plant will tell you when you're making a mistake. With too much water, the plant will put out white, spiky-looking roots about one-quarter inch long at points along the stem. That's your indicator: cut back on watering." I've found the info in this book to be quite accurate thus far.

Of course over-watering does lead to root and stem rot, but by the time that happens it's usually too late to save the plant. My take on the above quoted passage is that it implies that Jade has an early-warning symptom of over-watering, which can be corrected.

Every 2 weeks doesn't seem like too much, but there are so many variables...pot size and material, soil material, season, humidity, etc. ...that effect watering frequency. I was thinking humidity might be the issue...I have a Swedish Ivy that put out a lot of long aerial roots when outdoor humidity was over 80% and I had the windows open..I reduced watering, even though I wasn't over-watering by my schedule, and the plant did (and does)fine with that.
Jades do prefer low humidity, and if your humidity is high can do with even less water.
by tkhooper on September 28, 2005 01:27 AM
I water mine very seldom unless it is going through one of its growth phases then it gets lots of water. I'm sure I probably over do it. I'm prone to that kind of thing lol.

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Odd Coneflower| Next thread: odd little "fuzzy spheres" in dirt »
Back to Thread index