The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Orange Tree Redux

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2004
« Prev thread: orange tree ornamentals| Next thread: Orange Trumpet Vine »
Back to Thread index
by allthumbs on January 31, 2004 09:41 AM
I was walking along my garden path, passing my orange tree, when one ofthe branches reached out and poked me in the eye...the next thing I knew I woke up lying on the lawn next to the tree, with a pair of branch loppers in my hand, and a whole bunch of the orange trees branches lying on the ground...

What could possibly have happened?

OK, so I lost my temper at the orange tree...

My question is as follows:

The orange tree was definitely due for some pruning, with these odd extensions reaching up to the heavens, 7 feet beyond the rest of the tree, and a couple even reaching 3 or 4 feet out to the sides - them's what I dun hacked offa da tree. But the tree has a whole bunch of oranges on it, just a week or two shy of pickin' time. Have I adversely affected the crop by shaping the tree a little earlierthan usual? Is it okay to lop off 2 or 3....or 10 of the longer branches, while the oranges are still on the tree. I made sure not to cut branches that had oranges anywhere near, but am worried that my maniacal attack will haunt me in seasons to come...

I'm seeking advice from the wisest of Orange Seers!
[teacher]

-
by weezie13 on January 31, 2004 03:42 PM
Nicholas,
Papito's your man for that answer I'll bet!!!!

Ya know that tree must have been emmiting some kind of pheromone (sp) or something, that just
made you do that!!!!!! LOL You're too funny!!!

Weezie

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/
by catlover on January 31, 2004 05:48 PM
Allthumbs...papito is your man but he doesn't have an envelope so will have to wait for him to swing around.

Since you brought up a good word in the ask a ? category....I was wondering... was that JUSTIFIABLE whacking and WHY???? [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

-
 -
 -
by weezie13 on January 31, 2004 09:40 PM
The vapor's made him do it Karen,
The vapor's............ [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/
by allthumbs on February 02, 2004 03:02 AM
The tree hasn't keeled over in abject surrender yet, but time will tell. Haven't heard from Papito as of yet, so am wondering if there's a way to alert him to my sorrowful plight...?

As to whether my "Burbank Limb-Lopper Massacre" was a justified act of arboreal malice, my only defence is the ancient and time-tested argument of "the tree started it!!"
[angel]

-
by papito on February 03, 2004 04:54 PM
Hi Allthumbs,

On the 17th last month I pruned 7 mandarin oranges, with no noticeable harmful effects on the trees or the fruits still in them. I really believe that your "pruned orange tree" will be okay.

In frost free areas, mature orange trees can be pruned at anytime during the year by heading back and pinching to maintain good shape. You can also remove dead woods and unproductive, twiggy branches to let more light through. Pruning improves the overall health of the trees; there is less competition for water and nutrients and forces the plant energy into the remaining branches.

The ripening and sweetness of oranges mainly depends on the amount of light and heat it gets during the day.

In fact, old overgrown citrus can be rejuvinated by skeletonizing the tree; that is done by lopping (removing) trunks that are 1" to 2" in diameter. This is best done in spring. The tree won't produce any fruits for 2 years, but when it does, the fruits will usually be larger than normal. I wish I have a digital camera so I can show you what the fruits look like on the lemon and pummelo trees that were skeletonized a few years back.

-
 -

Amor est vitae essentia.
Love is the essence of life.
by njoynit on February 03, 2004 06:55 PM
Talk about orange trees.I been looking for one.Course i bought had [Love] failure Friday.i stopped at a "tropical Nursery" on 59 on way back from Houston.Had a nice looking Manderian orange tree in a 25 gal container......... [perplexed] $300$ [perplexed] yep& that thar Mexican Palm tree was$289$ I still ain't found me a Orange tree for yard yet...But not THAT one.I've seen one other one for $25 was a 15 gal container...but did not have fruit hanging on it like that thar High priced baby...Am still looking.wish knew my area better.
But now Papito.........I got a lemon tree in my yard.I got this place last Feb from folks who lived here 22 years.she says they had that tree 11 years.neighbor says land was vacant 2 years and that that tree had lemons last year.he said like 3 crops of lemons.Huge lemons .Was in walmart one day with him and he picked up a lemon that was huge as a grapefruit and said was brighter orange.could smell fruit on tree.I wacked a dead center trunk thing off when got place.it was clearly dead.some is actually still left that is dead,but has all these shoots from ground and lower trunk area that have sent up 8 ft branches but could well be 10 ft.I really don't wanna stand on ladder.
Why ain't it doing notheing now?and am guessing its a ponderosa it has thorns.leafs smell lemony besides a soot issue which when it real hot is not there but is now like when got it.I keept it atered well all summer and have fertilized it.i've posted around a few different forums on this tree and never got much of an answer.

Ya recomend a good lime tree for my area?

-
 -
I will age ungracefully until I become an old woman in a small garden..doing whatever the Hell I want!

http://community.webshots.com/user/njoynit03
http://community.webshots.com/user/njoynit
http://photos.yahoo.com/njoynit03
by allthumbs on February 03, 2004 08:09 PM
Thanks for the advice, Papito! Much appreciated. [wayey]

-
by papito on February 04, 2004 05:50 PM
NjoyNit,

Those are pretty expensive plants.

Standard or dwarf lemons usually bear fruits several times a year. While the dwarfs grows to about 8 ft. the standard tree can reach over 20 ft. and should be cut back regularly to keep them compact and fruits within easy reach (similar to what Nicholas did to his orange tree).

The shoots that grows from the base of your lemon tree are called suckers. Sucker growth comes from the rootstock of a grafted or budded plant. I usually remove the suckers (by grabbing the base, pushing it down 90 degrees and pulling it out; the suckers will grow back if removed by cutting (with a pruner or any other cutting tool).

Lemons are best grown in California, Arizona, Texas, the gulf coast and Florida. Some of the lemon varieties are: Eureka, Improved Meyer, Lisbon and Ponderosa.

Your lemon tree is a Ponderosa. You are right, the fruits are grapefruit-sized, juicy, acidic, the rinds are thick, thorny and has large leaves.

My guess is, you won't see any fruits from the grown suckers for at least 7 to 8 years and with questionable quality. A grafted or budded lemon tree will bear fruits in 3 to 4 years.

A good lime tree for your area? Most common varieties are Bearss (tahiti and persian), Mexican (key) and Rangpur. Either Bearss or Mexican (Mexican lime is also known as the Bar Tender's lime) would be good.

-
 -

Amor est vitae essentia.
Love is the essence of life.
by njoynit on February 05, 2004 08:10 PM
Well i like the sound of that thar bar tenders lime.means would be perfect in me tequilas [muggs]

Well i'm not to sure I want to get smacked in the face with one of them lemon limbs and go on a wacking spree.now I have a dumb question [nutz] whats that diamentor of a sucker shooting out of ground gonna be so I know how long I gots to wait here for a lemon? If it wasn't raining I'd go measure.but I am just fine for now to look out at window& guess umm maybe...umm2 maybe 3 inches thats guessing& thats with standing on toes peeking out.All i really do is sprinkle osmote time release every 4 months and water it well& deeply all summer.cooler months notice I have fungas on leaves.black soot.leaves smell good when smashed though.

also...can you propagate lemon trees with stem cuttings successfully?I'm not a graft person.your talking to someone who has barely managed to root roses& that took 3 years.to manage one and has a possible 4 in process so far so good***knock on wood*** just thought I'd ask while had your attention [lala]
thanks! [flower]

-
 -
I will age ungracefully until I become an old woman in a small garden..doing whatever the Hell I want!

http://community.webshots.com/user/njoynit03
http://community.webshots.com/user/njoynit
http://photos.yahoo.com/njoynit03

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: orange tree ornamentals| Next thread: Orange Trumpet Vine »
Back to Thread index