The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

How Can You Tell If a Houseplant Will Live Outside?

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2005
by Smh023 on September 14, 2005 02:34 AM
I know some houseplants cannot live outside no matter what. But I have a pothos (I think)/Ivy
 -
It has grown A LOT since this picture. And I have a Irish Shamrock  - and I have seen both of these plants outside before. I thought both of these were inside only.

So what are the rules to having a houseplant outside for a little while (not in cold weather obviously) and how do you know which ones can go outside for a little while?
by Jiffymouse on September 14, 2005 05:22 AM
depends on your location, time of year, plant, and amount of sun. both of those will be ok outside, but not over the winter.
by Cricket on September 14, 2005 06:23 AM
Oxalis will survive winters in zone 7b; pothos need warmer winter temperatures of zone 10.
by Smh023 on September 14, 2005 08:51 PM
I'm not really on up on the zones and which way the window and sun are facing? All I do is try to stick my plants near a window that gets sunlight through it?
by Jiffymouse on September 15, 2005 09:28 AM
that's a start [thumb] and, most plants are rated by zones (here in the us) and in nashville, you will be somewhere around 6b/7a. i remember it snows in nashville (haven't been there in years) you can go here to check out the areas for the different zones. if you know a plant is zone 8, then you can check out where that is, then check the weather for that zone to see if your plant would be ok outside where you are on that particular day!

there is a lot more to it, and as you get used to gardening and houseplants, you'll be amazed at what you learn without meaning to.

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: