The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Persian Shield

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: permaculture| Next thread: Persian Shield? »
Back to Thread index
by Gata on April 27, 2006 09:44 AM
I bought a beautiful Persian Shield and am getting conflicting information. Does anyone know if it needs full sun, part or shade? I'm not sure yet whether I'll make it a pot plant or put it in the ground. I live in Zone 9, so it could be possible to put in ground (I think). Any help really appreciated. Gata
by patches1414 on April 27, 2006 10:22 AM
Hi Gata! [wavey]

Isn't Persian Shield a beautiful plant? [Smile] I first saw it at the Missouri Bontanical Gardens three years ago. Well, I just had to have one, or two, or three, or more, so I ended up with four. [Wink] They really are not hardy for our area but they were beautiful that year. [thumb] I wanted to keep them over the winter, but they were so big I didn't have anywhere to put them. [tears] They grow well in shade or part-shade. [thumb] I hope this helps.

patches [kitty]

-
 -
"Lord, I love you and I need you, come into my heart, and bless me, my family, my home, and my friends, in Jesus' name. Amen!"
by Gata on April 27, 2006 11:50 AM
Thanks Patches. Was it because it got too cold that they did not last. I read somewhere that a frost can turn them into black goo. (shudder) And yes they are most beautiful with that silvery sheen. [wavey]
by patches1414 on April 27, 2006 12:29 PM
YES, the cold zapped them. [Frown] I reslly hated [Mad] that but there's nothing you can do when you can't control the weather. [Frown]

-
 -
"Lord, I love you and I need you, come into my heart, and bless me, my family, my home, and my friends, in Jesus' name. Amen!"
by jonni13 on April 28, 2006 04:28 PM
The next time you get one, Patches, take cuttings for winter. They root soooo easily in moist soil. Then you can have some year after year.
I'm in zone 9, Ca. and I have them in mostly shade. No black mush here but the snails did a lot of damage.
 -

~Tina
 -
 -
 -
Getting old is the pits. But it sure beats the alternative. My Blog
by patches1414 on April 29, 2006 11:52 AM
Unfortunately, I didn't have any way to do that and keep them over the winter when I had them. [tears] I just checked at the nursery the other day and they don't have any this year. [Frown] They didn't know if they would be getting any in either, so I'll just have to wait and see. [dunno]

Tina, the Persian Shield plants I had and the ones at the Missouri Bontanical Gardens had deep purple leaves with silver. In your picture the leaves look green. Is it a different kind? [dunno]

-
 -
by jonni13 on April 29, 2006 01:59 PM
I'm having trouble getting true colors with my camera. But they also get greener with less purpling in deeper shade. That pic was taken in January, I think. I will try to get a better pic. But my newest one is that purple with the metallic overlay that we grow them for.

~Tina
 -
 -
 -
by patches1414 on April 29, 2006 05:37 PM
Okay, that explains it! I had mine planted in dappled shade so they got some sun off and on. [Wink]

quote:
my newest one is that purple with the metallic overlay that we grow them for.

Isn't that awesome, Tina! [thumb] That's why I fell in love with it the first time I ever saw it! [Love]

-
 -
by jonni13 on May 01, 2006 07:50 AM
Here it is.
 -
And
 -

~Tina
 -
 -
 -
by patches1414 on May 01, 2006 05:44 PM
Are those the same pictures I saw last night? Or is the first picture taken at a different angle than the one you posted in the CH?

-
 -

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: permaculture| Next thread: Persian Shield? »
Back to Thread index