The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

When is it time to repot a spider pot

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2005
by mrs.b on September 10, 2005 10:10 AM
My Big Girl lives in a 14 inch pot and has eight heavy set babies growing thru out the plant. And have begun to notice small root hairs growing out thru drainage holes.
Thank you [muggs]
by joclyn on September 11, 2005 01:08 AM
if you are seeing roots coming out of the bottom of the plant, then i'd say it's time to repot.
by mrs.b on September 11, 2005 03:14 AM
That's what I kind of thought too. Read somewhere that spiders like to be somewhat root bound in their homes......
by Cricket on September 11, 2005 04:23 AM
Spider plants do like to be pot-bound. If the plant does not need watering more frequently than every third day, it is better to not repot it. No need to fix what ain't broken! It is safe to trim the roots growing from the drainage hole.
by mrs.b on September 11, 2005 11:28 PM
That's great to hear about the repotting. I prefer to water my spider about every two weeks and I apply the finger touch rule. I touch the soil and if it doesn't cling to finger than she needs a drink. So far, this method has work out great for me. And frankly I was dreading having to repot her as she is getting huge and I will have to graduate up to a 24 inche pot or larger for her.
mrs b.
by Cricket on September 12, 2005 01:49 AM
If you only have to water the spider plant every two weeks, I'd leave it alone. Obviously, it is doing well. She sounds huge! Can you post a photo?
by mrs.b on September 12, 2005 03:43 AM
I will see what I can do with a picture. I will need kids to help as I don't have a clue as to how one would do that.
I don't think she is that big and I think she could get better if she was placed in a bigge pot. But best to leave alone for now.
mrs. b

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: