The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Overgrown Rose Bush (don't know if it's a bush)

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: Overgrown Climbing Rose| Next thread: overly rootbound spiderplant »
Back to Thread index
by NewRae on April 24, 2006 05:00 PM
I've got a problem.

My house used to belong to my parents, and I purchased it after my mother passed away. She had planted a rose in front of the bonus room window. It's a spot that gets really good sun most of the day.

My problem is that this thing is almost as tall as my house is. It has recently grown from being one "stalk" to being two. And, I think that was after I broke a piece off of it. I know absolutely nothing about pruning roses. Can someone give me any guidance?

Also, just an interesting note that this plant never gave my mother a single rose (except the one on the plant when she bought it), but every year since I've owned the house, it gives me at least one bloom about the size of a teacup saucer. The last year or two, it's given me two to five blooms. So, I don't want to kill it.

Thanks!!!!
by joclyn on April 24, 2006 06:19 PM
sounds like it's a climbing rose (if it's as tall as the house). they still should be pruned back every year or so. you could take a bit off the top now - it won't hurt to do that at this time of year. then, in the fall, i'd cut it back to a few feet high.

is there a section at the bottom that doesn't have any leaves growing? if so, i wouldn't cut it down any further than a foot above where the leaves start (in the fall).

you could also add some rose food in around the base - that might help it to produce blooms.

could you post a picture of it?

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Overgrown Climbing Rose| Next thread: overly rootbound spiderplant »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: