The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

To force or not to force? (Dutch Iris)

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: To cut, or not to cut| Next thread: To mint or not to mint? »
Back to Thread index
by TetonBadger on April 23, 2006 04:25 PM
Ok so keep in mind I am pretty new at this so my question might be stupid..

but...after much research I cant figure out what to do with some Dutch Irises my friend gave me, if I wanted them outside I should have planted them in novemeber right?

But then again I am in zone 3 so would they have even made it outside had I planted them?

so now I am confused, Could I plant them outside now? ( it would be in a container) would they bloom if I did, or do I have to cool them?

If I cant plant them outside then should I just enjoy them indoors in a container? do I have to refrigerate them then? how long?

Keeping them till next novemeber isint an option as I am rather transient....recent college grad.

Help!
by SpringFever on April 24, 2006 01:39 AM
bulbsI would plant it... I was just looking at the link above..
How did you store them?
I was also reading in another area and it said dutch iris hardy zone 3-8 you just need to cover them in the winter. [wavey]

-
 -
Tonight I am having friends for dinner... Hanibal Lector My Album
by SpringFever on April 24, 2006 01:44 AM
It did say you should fridge them though.. you might not get flowers this year [dunno]
I would still try... but I am crazy like that [nutz]

-
 -
by alankhart on April 24, 2006 03:13 AM
Dutch Irises do best when planted in the fall. They grow foliage for the winter and bloom in early to mid spring, then go dormant for summer and the foliage will reappear in the fall. They need at least 10 to 12 weeks of cold to bloom reliably, so I would think even if you refrigerated them now you wouldn't be able to plant them until July and I don't know if they would bloom then. I would just go ahead and plant them where you want them (put a marker there so you don't forget), you should see foliage come up in the fall( or maybe even now since it's still cool where you are) and wait for blooms next year. Or you could refrigerate half and plant half and see what happens? By the way, I love Dutch Irises, especially the yellow and white ones. Unfortunately, they just don't bloom long enough. Good luck!

-
 -
 -
by TetonBadger on April 24, 2006 09:19 AM
ok I am giving it a shot (no cold just planting)! thanks guys! I will let you know if they bloom!
by SpringFever on April 24, 2006 09:42 AM
I hope they do [flower] [flower] [flower] Goof luck teton!! [thumb] And welcome to the forum!!
Nice to meet you! [wavey]

-
 -

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: To cut, or not to cut| Next thread: To mint or not to mint? »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: