The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

your thanksgiving menu

Willy's Place » Members Favorite Recipes
« Prev thread: Your Doggy's Christmas cookie treat| Next thread: Yucca »
Back to Thread index
by linda12159 on November 12, 2004 11:11 AM
hi.....i was just wondering what everybody was making for thanksgiving. i'd love it if you could share your menus for that day. i could use some new and different ideas.
Linda

-
learn from others mistakes....you can't live long enough to make them all yourself
by suzydaze on November 12, 2004 03:56 PM
I'm just the cook, everyone else makes the menu

so far we have turkey & dressing
corn on the cob, potato salad,a couple pecan pies and a birthday cake (ashley's birthday is the 28th and we just add that she's so young she doesn't know the difference and every one is all gathered up.

and some assorted candies, fudge, divinity, spiced pecans and a couple others.

-
 -
I try to take one day at a time -- but sometimes several days attack me at once.
-Jennifer Unlimited-
by linda12159 on November 12, 2004 05:25 PM
quote:
Originally posted by suzydaze:
I'm just the cook, everyone else makes the menu........
i wish i was that lucky!!!!
i'm just the cook too, but sometimes i wish i could get a little input from them. i'm the only girl at this feast, hmmmm....do you think thats why i'm the cook....???? i do enjoy it though. i wanted to try some different side dishes or maybe make the gravy a little different. heck, i'd even try cooking the bird a different way!!! i like your idea of corn on the cob, i always make corn, but on the cob is a good thing.
tell me about those candies....divinity??? and spiced pecans, i'm not familiar with them but they sound fabulous!!
thanks suzydaze!!
Linda

-
learn from others mistakes....you can't live long enough to make them all yourself
by afgreyparrot on November 12, 2004 08:14 PM
All I know is, there's a turkey involved in my meal!
(and I don't need some smarta$$ here (G-Mom) [lala] to tell me it's ME!) [Big Grin]

I don't even remember WHERE I ate Thanksgiving dinner last year. For all I know, I could have made a big spread here and 50 people might have shown up, but I guess I blocked it out! Seriously, I don't remember. I'll have to ask someone in my family that has a few more brain cells left than I do.
(My FAMILY? [shocked] Might be looking for a looooong time!) [Big Grin] [lala]

Cindy  -

-
 -
 -
Buckle up! It makes it harder for the aliens to suck you out of your car!
by loz on November 12, 2004 09:48 PM
Well at my parents house we always have:
Turkey, Ham, Roasted Potatoes, Mashed Potatoes, Gravy, Stuffing, Corn, Brussels Sprouts, Caulifloewer, Carrots, Peas, Cranberry Sauce, Rolls, and Pumpkin Pie. Mom kind of goes all out with the spread....lol Not that I'm complaining.

THEN, we have to go to the inlaws where they have a huge feast of traditional and undtraditional stuff......

Cindy, remind me to wear my elastic waisted pants that day would ya??? [Big Grin] I eat enough that day for about 10 people. And the day after thanksgiving remind me to get my butt on the old treadmill and work it off.... [Razz]
by afgreyparrot on November 12, 2004 11:50 PM
Yeah, Loz! [Big Grin]
I'll be SURE to REMEMBER to remind you! [nutz] [lala]

-
 -
 -
by Jiffymouse on November 13, 2004 04:01 AM
well, at our house we have:
and anything else they can talk me into. and anything else anyone else wants to bring! by the way, recipes are available for any and all those above. click on the item you want the recipe for, and if it doesn't have a hyperlink, pm me and i'll post it!
by afgreyparrot on November 13, 2004 05:02 AM
Good Lord, Jiffy! I can't cook more than 2 things at a time without burning the house down!

You go, girl!  -

Cindy

-
 -
 -
by weezie13 on November 13, 2004 06:44 AM
Oh, Oh, Oh, [wayey]
I'll take the Carrot Cake and Fudge!!!!
Yummmmmmmmmmmmmm~eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Weezie

Send fudge recipe!!!

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/
by Jiffymouse on November 13, 2004 05:30 PM
easiest fudge in the world,

i've edited my menu post to hyperlink all the recipes requested so that this topic can stay managable longer! click or pm me to get the recipes [Smile]
by loz on November 13, 2004 09:58 PM
That is some easy fudge--good too, I made it twice last year!!! [kissies]
by afgreyparrot on November 14, 2004 02:17 AM
I had everything to make it except the sugar, so when I went to
Wal [devil] Mart awhile ago I got some...
...also got some pecans to put in it.

Think I'll make it after I put Lola to bed!

Yum! [Wink]

-
 -
 -
by suzydaze on November 14, 2004 04:02 AM
I'll have to dig y'all up some recipes next week. Hubby doesn't like me on the computer on the week end.

He's watching a scarey movie right now and I don't do scarey movies.

But usually he likes me on the couch with him and not on the computer.

When he goes back to work I'll find some of those recipes and post them.

Linda, Spiced pecans are the best (I could gain 10 pounds just thinking about them)
and Divinty is hubby's favorite. A must here.
then I do a batch of fudge (Have several fudge recipes)

I got these big pecan trees in my yard so once they start falling I have pleanty of fresh pecans to cook with. Put 'em in stuff. on top of stuff on the bottom of stuff.

-
 -
I try to take one day at a time -- but sometimes several days attack me at once.
-Jennifer Unlimited-
by linda12159 on November 14, 2004 02:06 PM
suzydaze.....you bet i'll wait!! i bet those candy pecans would make nice gifts as well!! i'm so excited!!!
thank you!!!!!
Linda

-
by linda12159 on November 14, 2004 02:16 PM
jiffymouse......wow, thats some menu. fried turkey??? do you fry it?
i know you need special equipment (almost bought the cooker last year)
i heard it comes out fantastic. whats your opinion? i'd love your:
bread dressing, sweet potato, carrot cake recipes!!!! do you do anything special to your mashed pots? one more thing......is your gravy any different than the norm???
Linda

-
by linda12159 on November 14, 2004 02:28 PM
i'm so thrilled with all your responses.....thank you so much for sharing!!
keep em' comin!! i love getting different ideas and its just fun hearing what everybody else does for this holiday!
thank you, Linda

-
by Jiffymouse on November 14, 2004 03:57 PM
i have fried my own turkeys and i have bought them and i have begged them from friends. it's not hard, as long as you make sure that the turkey is totally thawed out. that is the secret. and well salted helps too. i am going to try brining one to fry. i think that would be really good!
by linda12159 on November 15, 2004 02:18 AM
jiffymouse.........YES!!!!
brined and fried, that sounds fabulous. constance gave me a little run down on brining........have you done that before? you've shared so much with me......maybe one more thing? whats your opinion or ideas on brining? thank you...thank you...thank you...for all those fabulous recipes!!! i know that took alot of time, i sure do appreciate it! [kissies] [angel] [thumb]
Linda

-
by weezie13 on November 15, 2004 05:24 AM
I do all the standards for T~day!!!
Fresh Turkey
Mashed Potatoes
Gravy
Peas
Corn
Stuffing
Sweet Potatoes
Acorn Squash
Rolls w/ butter
Pickles, Olives, etc.
Irish Coffee and Tea
Cherry Pie
Pumpkin Pie
Apple Pie
Asstorted Cheese Cakes

Weezie

-
 -
 -

by linda12159 on November 15, 2004 05:22 PM
Weezie.....oh my!!! what a great assortemt of sweets. tell me, do you make your own cheese cake? i've always wanted to try cheese cake, but i've heard theres a knak to it....so i never bothered. but would love to give it a tr.
Linda

-
by suzydaze on November 15, 2004 05:59 PM
okay here's those recipes.

Sugar & Spice Pecans
¼ cup butter
3cups pecan halves
½ cup sugar
3 tablespoons sugar
1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
½ teaspoon ground ginger
½ teaspoon ground nutmeg

** waxed paper needed for this recipe
In 10-inch skillet melt butter; stir in pecans and ½ cup sugar. Cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until sugar melts and pecans brown, 8-12 minutes. Meanwhile, in a large bowl combine all remaining ingredients. Stir in caramelized pecans. Spread on wax paper; cool completely. Break clusters into individual pecans. Store tightly in covered container. Makes 3 cups

Now personally I never have to worry about storing mine for long,
** I always spread waxed paper first before I start recipe two sheets cook sheet size

Divinity Candy

2 2/3 cups sugar
2/3 cup light corn syrup (the white one)
½ cup water*
2 egg whites
1 teaspoon vanilla
2/3 cup broken nuts
** waxed paper needed for this recipe
Heat sugar, corn syrup and water in 2 -qt saucepan over low heat, stirring constantly, until sugar is dissolved. Cook, with out stirring, to 260 degrees on candy thermometer or until small amount of mixture dropped into very cold water forms a hard ball. (I use thermometer, never could do hard ball soft ball with water--guess I’ve never been a ball player *L*) Remove from heat.
Beat egg whites until stiff peaks form: continue beating while pouring hot syrup in a thin stream into the egg whites. Add vanilla; beat until mixture holds it’s shape and becomes slightly dull. ( you’ll think it’s not going to happen then boom! So keep an eye on it) (Mixture may become too stiff to mix with a mixer) Fold in nuts with a big spoon. Drop mixture from tip of a buttered spoon onto waxed paper to cool. Makes about 4 dozen candies.

* Use one tablespoon LESS water on humid days.
** I always spread waxed paper first before I start recipe two sheets cook sheet size

-
 -
-Jennifer Unlimited-
by weezie13 on November 15, 2004 06:18 PM
Linda,
quote:
Weezie.....oh my!!! what a great assortemt of sweets. tell me, do you make your own cheese cake?
Well, the assorted one's come from my brother...
He picks them up on the way down for dinner.....

But I did only one time make my own cheese cake, a long time ago, found a great Turtle Cheese Cake recipe and made it, and it wasn't too hard to do, if I remember correctly....
And for me I need simple recipes and it was, I think I used a spring form pan too.....

Let me see if I can find the cook book *and dust it off* [Embarrassed] [Wink] [Big Grin] [Frown]
And see if I can get the recipe in here...
(**bare with me, I'm slow, and if I forget, get after me and remind me!!! OKAY?????

Weezie

Weezie

-
 -
 -

by linda12159 on November 16, 2004 04:33 PM
Yippeeeeee..... [clappy] You guys are the best. Suzydaze, thank you so much, could they be an easier [kissies] !! I love it.
Weezie, sounds wonderful, turtle cheese cake....yummy! Yes, I will hound you [gabby] (not really).
This will be the best Thanksgiving ever. Kinda hard when you don't have any girls to gab with. This is like having an extended family. Thank you so much. [kissies] [grin]
Linda

-
by Jiffymouse on November 16, 2004 08:29 PM
anyone who has posted recipes here, if you will repost them as a separate topic for each recipe, i will hyperlink your menu so that it is like mine. but i think each person should have their own recipes under their own name, ie... suzydaze - divinity (which, by the way, thank you! i lost my recipe for that!!)
by suzydaze on November 16, 2004 09:01 PM
I love to do candy. I do a buckeye candy for christmas (a chocolate ball with a peanutbutter and powdered sugar inside) and a velveeta cheese fudge both are like so fattening you gain 10 pound just looking at the recipe. anyone want those I'll post those too.

I'll be too busy to type in to day and tomorrow, but might get it in Thursday.

Hubby goes to doctor tomorrow for his hernia to get looked at, hope he gets it fixed soon, he's been like a bear with a sore tail.

-
 -
-Jennifer Unlimited-
by Jiffymouse on November 17, 2004 11:05 PM
post them, and i'll hyperlink them. i lost my buckeye recipe, but love them!!
by 4Ruddy on November 18, 2004 12:39 AM
This is my favorite holiday....I love to cook and have a tradition of making 1 new recipe every Thanksgiving. this year the menu is......

Roasted Turkey
Squash dressing
Sweet potatoe puffs
Corn Casserole
Broccoli & eggs au Grautin
Cranberry Salsa
Autumn Fruit Salad
Shoe peg salad and hot rolls

Desserts

Chocolate Yum Yum cake (at my son's request)
Luscious 4 Layer Pumpkin Cake: (to die for!!!)
Sweet potatoe pie
Italian Creme cake

Snackies

Mexican Cheese log & chipped beef cheese ball
Ham puffs
Roasted garlic hummus
Green Chili Cheesecake.yum yum!!!

You all are Welcome to come eat!!!!! [wayey]

-
 -

Happiness, like a dessert so sweet.
May life give you more than you can ever eat...
by linda12159 on November 18, 2004 06:00 PM
Hi Vanessa....Thank you for your input. Autum Salad......That sounds interesting,and cranberry salsa. Could you post the recipes?
Thanks so much
Linda

-
by 4Ruddy on November 19, 2004 12:52 AM
Autumn Fruit Salad

1 (6oz) pkg Lemon Jello
2 cups hot water
1 1/2 cup cold water
1 (8oz) crushed pineapple, undrained
1 can whole berry cranbery sauce (chilled)
2 apples, chopped
1 cup diced celery
1 cup chopped pecans

Make Jello; add crushed pineapple, undrained. When mixture starts to thicken, add cranberry sauce, apples, celery and pecans. Chill

Topping:
8 0z cream cheese softened
1 cup cool whip
1 cup mini marshmellows

mix all together til blended well...top salad mixture after it has set.

I love cranberry anything and have a million recipes if anyone needs a "new" cranberry idea for the holidays. [Cool]

-
 -

by 4Ruddy on November 19, 2004 01:05 AM
You just HAVE to try this....I make several batches and can it because once everyone tastes it, they want it and it makes a wonderful "different" Christmas gift.

Cranberry Salsa 2 pints

3 cups fresh cranberries
1/2 purple onion
2 jalepeno' peppers
1/2 cup fresh cilantro
1/2 cup honey
2 Tbsp fresh lime juice
1 Tbsp orange zest
(1 clove garlic optional)(but wonderful)

Process all ingredients in a food processor pulsing 6-8 times or until coarsley chopped. Chill at least 8 hours before serving.
This is excellant on leftover turkey sandwiches (or chicken) and even better on tacos...you just have to trust me on this one! [Wink]

-
 -

by linda12159 on November 19, 2004 02:27 AM
Vanessa.....I'm adding autumn salad to my menu. Now, about the cranberry salsa.....Is it more like a salsa, or relish? I mean, is it for topping
stuff or would it be good alone? (like a relish). I'm game to try, if its not to hot? You mentioned cranberry recipes.....My mom used to make a cranberry relish that had mandarine oranges, celery, etc. Would you have a recipe like that? Or any of your favorite cranberry relish recipe.
Thanks, Linda

-
by 4Ruddy on November 19, 2004 11:00 PM
Linda,
I have TONS of cranberry recipes...I will post a few for you but I have to post them under a seperate topic. The cranberry salsa is a "salsa" and is good with your meal or on sandwiches and especially good on tacos for a very different kick. I love it with my turkey & dressing and no, it isn't really hot...just a mild kick...I guess just to be sure you could only use 1 jalepeno'. I also have a wonderful 4 layer pumpkin cake that is really easy & different.

-
 -

by duckie on November 19, 2004 11:08 PM
Vanessa,your recipes sound so good.

Would you please post your cake recipes?
Your corn casserole sounds yummy.Is it hard to make?

Thanks for sharing. [wayey]

-
 -
by 4Ruddy on November 19, 2004 11:51 PM
sure...I post any recipes. Nothing that I do is "hard"! [Big Grin] My only requirements is that it is GOOD and pretty....and appears to be hard! [Embarrassed] The corn casserole is an old standby recipe that is really good & easy.

-
 -

by linda12159 on November 20, 2004 04:38 PM
Vanessa, Those recipes sound divine. That would be great if you could find a couple cranberry relish recipes!! Serving the canned jellied stuff doesn't sound appealing to me this year. Would love one with celery and orange (whatever). Looking forward to your idea's
Linda
by gardenmom32210 on November 20, 2004 04:49 PM
by weezie13 on December 06, 2004 12:11 AM
Decant Cheesecakes!

Okay Linda, I found the step stool, climbed up it, and onto the counter, geesh, it used to be easier, hmmmmmmmmf, dusted off the one particular cookbook the recipe comes from.............

The Treasury of CREATIVE COOKING
(**Even has gold leaf on the edges of every page*)

TURTLE PECAN CHEESECAKE

Makes one 9~inch cheesecake

2 Cups crushed chocolate cookies or vanilla wafers *approximately 8 ounces cookies*
1/4 cup (1/2 stick) butter, melted
2 1/2 (8~ounces) packages cream cheese, softened
1 Cup sugar
1 1/2 tablespoons all~purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon vanilla
3 eggs
2 tablespoons whipping cream
**Carmel Topping (recipe follows)
**Chocolate Topping (recipe follows)
1 Cup chopped toasted pecans

Preheat oven to 450*F. Combine cookie crumbs and butter; press onto bottom of a 9~inch springform pan. Beat cream cheese in a large bowl until creamy. Add sugar, flour, salt adn vanilla; mix well. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Blend in cream. Pour over crust. Bake 10 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 200*F; continue baking 35 to 40 minutes or until set. Loosen cake from rim of pan; cool before removing rim of pan.
Drizzle with Carmel Topping and Chocolate Topping. Refrigerate. Sprinkle with pecans just before serving.

Carmel Topping:
Combine 1/2 (4~ounce) bag of caramels and 1/3 cup whipping cream in small saucepan; stir over low heat until smooth.

Chocolate Topping:
Combine 1 (4~ounce) package German sweet chocolate, 1 teaspoon butter and 2 tablespoons whipping cream in small saucepan; stir over low heat until smooth.

****Linda Bland from Edwardsville, Illinois was a finalist in the Baked Desserts Using Dairy Products category at the Illinois State Fair, Springfield, Illinois.****

Weezie

-
 -
 -

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Your Doggy's Christmas cookie treat| Next thread: Yucca »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: