The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Golden Lotus Banana

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2004
« Prev thread: GOLDEN FEATHER PALM| Next thread: golden pothos »
Back to Thread index
by Ann1 on November 18, 2004 10:34 AM
I discovered this plant while surfing here and in some other plant sites several days ago.

Golden Lotus Banana Musella lasiocarpa

There was one US importer listed in FL, but only for wholesale. A Froogle search did not bring up a retailer, but while looking at a question about Swiss Cheese Philodendron I checked a photo since I couldn't picture it. On that site I saw they also sold banana plants and they have this one.

Now I haven't done any gardening in a long time and had decided not to get into it again for various reasons. But this site and this plant have made me think differently.

Has anyone had experience with Golden Lotus Bananas? Can it be an indoor plant? Any warnings or comments? Please advise.

Thanks,
Ann
by Jiffymouse on November 20, 2004 03:09 PM
ann, i've never seen that one, but it does raise a desire in me to find a particular banana that we used to eat in the philippines...
by Ann1 on November 21, 2004 09:21 AM
Hi Jiffymouse,

The retail site I found is near my sister's home. Since we were supposed to spend Thanksgiving in Ft. Myers, I planned to check for the plant. We just decided not to go, so your post made me think of just doing a search on "banana plants" and I found several Google commercial sites that have all sorts of bananas, including one selling banana seeds--which is too basic for a banana.

The Golden Lotus banana is also known as Chinese banana and they aren't too expensive so I may try a small "bulb" in the spring. One small one is affordable, but I don't know how long it will take to get a blossom starting this small. They have an 800 # so I'll check with them.

Thanks for the idea! I didn't have enough info to check on your banana, but just do a Google and you should find one if they are grown in the US at all.

I grew up in New Orleans with banana trees but were very diappointed since the fruit was not edible. I wasn't interested in ornamental ones then and I had never seen an ornamental one as beautiful as the Golden Lotus. But I might also look into growing one of the edible kinds if one will grow here(Zone 8a-8b in low country S Car.)

Ann1
by Jiffymouse on November 21, 2004 11:00 PM
ann, if you are in the low country, you can't be far from me. we have lots of folks who live there and work here! anyway, the fruit of the banana i want is about 4-6 inches long at maturity, max, and is kind of squatty, a little "round" in the middle. makes great banana lumpia (banana fritters - sort of).
by Ann1 on November 25, 2004 12:39 AM
Jiffymouse,

The website I found with many many types of Bananas is in your home state-- TyTy Nursery
Let me know if the one you like is there, please.
With everything I'm adding I know dh would like a banana tree.

Thanks.
Ann
by papito on December 14, 2004 09:37 PM
Here's another link for banana.

Going Banana

The company is located in Florida...click their map [button] for the location.

Jiffymouse...check the description on SABA...that's the one you are looking for. Filipino or Mexican grocery stores sells them. If Saba is not available, you can also use Platano or Plantain banana. The platano or platain bananas are sold with green skins...to ripen, put inside brown bag with one or two granny apples. They are ripe when soft to touch and the skin is yellow or dark (almost black).

Cut both ends and slice the banana in halves. Fry in little oil at med-low heat or roll in lumpia wrapper tighly , seal the wrapper and fry.

-
 -

Amor est vitae essentia.
Love is the essence of life.
by Jiffymouse on December 15, 2004 03:17 AM
I wondered about the plantains, and if they would work. it sounds like you hit the nail on the head with the saba's. thanks papito [kissies]

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: GOLDEN FEATHER PALM| Next thread: golden pothos »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: