The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Spathiphyllum

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2004
by attennis on November 22, 2004 01:36 AM
My mom has a beautiful Peace Lily that she's had for about 2 months now (its a recent addition from Grandma). And its been a beautiful plant. During the past week, the tips of his leaves started to turn brown, and they look like they're burnt. I thought that maybe it was getting some direct sunlight, and the leaves didn't like it, but the leaf problem is on almost every leaf, even the ones that are up against the wall. The burnt spots seem to be slowly growing from the tips of the leaves inward. Before I do anything, I wanted to check with you guys.

Just some background on him for you guys: I water him when the leaves start to droop a lil bit (about once every two weeks). And according to my mom, it never gets direct sunlight. Please help save him!
by Jiffymouse on November 22, 2004 01:52 AM
sounds like a humidity problem. try setting the pot on some rocks/pebbles in a tray of water. but note the following points.

1 - do not let the pot sit in the water, but rather over it.

2 - the leaves that are dying will die anyway now. your best bet is to cut off the ones that are the worst. new ones will grow in to replace them, they just won't be as large to start with (they get bigger with age)

3 - when you water it, make sure that the pot is draining well.

good luck and enjoy your peace lily, they are one of my favorite plants!
by attennis on November 22, 2004 02:35 AM
OK, I know that I'm not over-watering it, and the pot does drain properly. So I assume its a humidity problem. The heat is on beacuse winter is approaching so that might be doing it. It is nowhere near a vent, so that's good.

I cannot set up a little rock thingy because my dog will end up drinking the water from it. Would misting it be a good alternative? If so, how often?
by Jiffymouse on November 22, 2004 03:27 AM
the dog drinking the water isn't going to hurt the dog or the plant. misting the air around the plant (don't mist the plant directly) gives it a brief raise in the humidity, but won't keep it up. perhaps you can put the plant on a stand with the tray under it.
by attennis on November 22, 2004 04:14 AM
I ended up putting the whole apparatus on a stand. The water "bath" extends about an inch around the circumference of the planter. Hopefully this will help my Peace Lily. Thank you very much for your help!

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: