The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

gross, sticky stuff on my ficus...

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2005
« Prev thread: gropole| Next thread: Ground Cover »
Back to Thread index
by Ceilteach on August 11, 2005 09:17 AM
grrr...
I think I have mealy bugs..
small brownish scale looking deals on the leaves and stems and everywhere on the plant...ugh!
I tried a few cotton swabs with rubbing alcohol to no avail.
Is there a solution, will this be my second attempt at growing a ficus that will fail...?
...bugs suck... [kitty] [thumb] [grin]

"You come to nature with all her theories, and she knocks them all flat."
Pierre Auguste Renoir
by Cricket on August 11, 2005 09:38 AM
Sounds like scale. Thoroughly saturate the plant with a diluted alcohol/water mixture (1:8) with a little dish soap added as an emulsifier. Don't forget to spray the stems, undersides of leaves, and nodes - those little suckers hide in the smallest of crevices.
by connie mounsey on August 11, 2005 07:24 PM
I have an ongoing battle with scale, also on my ficus. Mine is pretty big and so it is hard to get all those little critters off. I like to wipe leafs frequently and I am beginning to win over those little scale. Good luck with your ficus!

Without faith life has no meaning.
by Carly on August 11, 2005 08:01 PM
That's a shame - we have one out in the lobby that's been doing well. But I'll keep my eye out for that scale - don't know if it's a seasonal thing that happens.

I've never heard of the 8 to 1 mixture with the alcohol. I wonder if you can do that with other plants too.

-
When sorting seeds, do not whistle.
by Cricket on August 12, 2005 01:16 AM
Hi Carly,

The alcohol mixture is effective on many plants. However, do not use it on sensitive plants like ferns. If in doubt, test first on a few leaves before spraying the entire plant.
by Ceilteach on August 13, 2005 10:24 AM
Thanks to all for the responses...
I'll try the alcohol/water mix and hope for the best.

Pierre Auguste Renoir
by The Plant Doc on August 13, 2005 11:40 AM
Personally I like Safer Insecticidal Soap

It is not a poison, it smothers them. Plus it gives the leaves a nice shine [Smile]

Mike

-
Mike Maier
aka
The Plant Doc
by Will Creed on August 14, 2005 11:26 PM
Mike,

Insecticidal soap doesn't have the same penetrating ability as the alcohol and that is important for treating hard shelled scale insects.

More important than what you apply is how thorough you are in applying it. As Cricket pointed out, it is the juveniles that are hiding out of sight that later come back to haunt you. Complete coverage is critical for long term success.
by The Plant Doc on August 15, 2005 07:25 PM
Will

Just wondering,why would something that is smothering the insects need penetrating ability?
I could understand that with a contact killing insecticide. However insecticidal soaps or hort oils kill by suffocation of the target.

I do agree that the application is the most important part of the process, and also reapplying to make certain that all generations of the insects have been taken out.

-
Mike Maier
aka
The Plant Doc
by Will Creed on August 16, 2005 06:58 AM
Good question, Mike. I am not an etymologist, but it is my understanding that the breathing apparatus of scale and mealybugs are protected by the outer coverings of these two pests. The alcohol does a better job of dissolving these protective coatings so that the soap can then do its smothering thing.

That's the theory, as I understand it. My own empirical experience is consistent with this; I find much better results with the combination than with insecticidal soap alone.

In fact, I get the best results with a silicon-based foliage cleaner called Brand X. It's unusual penetrating ability (same stuff as WD-40) gets into the tiny crevices that even soap doesn't penetrate. Very effective stuff and safe to use.
by thebearswoman on August 16, 2005 08:38 PM
You mean ENTOMOLOGIST! Well have a good day Will Creed.
by Will Creed on August 17, 2005 04:46 AM
Thank you, thebearswoman. My love of words seems to have overwhelmed my distate for insect pests and caused me to use the wrong word. Thanks for straightening me out. You are an excellent student (A, I presume). What is your major? English, by chance?

For the record, I am neither an entomologist nor an etymologist.
by The Plant Doc on August 17, 2005 08:52 AM
Will,

No she is majoring in geology, with a minor in both bio and history. [teacher]

By the way you are correct her GPA from her last semester was a 4.0 All this as a single (not for long I hope) mom of 3! [clappy]

-
Mike Maier
aka
The Plant Doc
by Will Creed on August 17, 2005 08:56 AM
Mike,

How is this exceptional woman related to you?
by gconn77 on August 18, 2005 02:47 AM
I just purchased a ficus.. what maintenance or tips can I do to prevent all this from happeneing?

-
by Will Creed on August 18, 2005 07:19 AM
GConn,

There is no guaranteed way to prevent pest infestations on any plant. However, there are some precautions that you can take.

Buy from a reputable plant seller. Discount plant retailers often cut corners by eliminating pest control programs.

Check you plants carefully for early signs of pests before you buy.

Provide a healthy environment for your plants. For Ficus trees that means right in front of a sunny window. Plants under stress are magnets for plant pests.
by Ceilteach on August 26, 2005 10:26 AM
the 8-1 mix didn't seem to work, I treated it 3 times....
guess I shall rule out fixing his problem...
boo

Pierre Auguste Renoir
by Cricket on August 26, 2005 12:10 PM
Ceilteach, if the diluted alcohol mixture didn't work, there is a non-toxic product sold by Southwest Plantscape as a foliage cleaner called Brand X that works wonders on pests. Definitely worth a try. Remember, thoroughness is the key to success.

Brand X
by Ceilteach on August 28, 2005 03:13 AM
awesome, thanks for the link...
I'd like to save this plant so I'll try it.
[thumb]
[kitty]

Pierre Auguste Renoir
by Mandy N. on September 04, 2005 11:53 AM
Can anyone please post a picture of this plant? I think this is what I just got, but it wasn't labeled. Thanks!! [dunno]
by Cricket on September 06, 2005 09:43 AM
Mandy, is it a photo of a ficus you want or scale and mealybugs? Here is a Ficus benjamina potted with purple oxalis.

-

Cricket
by Blonde Gardener on September 06, 2005 11:33 AM
Hi,

I just found this posting on the internet and I am so grateful. I have a rubber tree that was given to me for my father's funeral and I really don't want it to die. I saw the little brown scales and thought they were new leaves....guess I was wrong, huh. Now my plant has like 3 leaves and the stalks are shriveling. I desperately want to save it, what should I do??? I saw the alcohol/water mixture idea and tried that. Is there any hope?? Please help if you have any advice!! Thank you!!
by Mandy N. on September 06, 2005 01:24 PM
That is exactly what I needed, Thanks! This is the plant that I got!!
by Mandy N. on September 06, 2005 01:28 PM
Should I prune all of the leafless branches off of the bottom? I have looked in the houseplant section, and there is no help topic for this plant. Also, ever since I brought it home, a ton of leaves have fallen off. Is this normal? Will it stop??
by Cricket on September 06, 2005 04:45 PM
Hi Mandy,

Expect your new Ficus to drop leaves until it becomes acclimatized to the light levels in your home (it might take a few weeks). They drop leaves when stressed by a change in the environment, which is why it is best to keep them in one place, preferably in front of a sunny, south-facing window. Don't worry, new leaves will quickly replace fallen ones. Let the surface of the soil dry out between thorough waterings and DON'T repot. [Frown]

Pruning Ficus trees is like experimenting with haircuts...unhappy results rapidly grow out. I think the general rule is to prune branches back by a third but if they are dead go ahead and lop them off.

Despite being sensitive to change, Ficus really are hardy plants. The plant in the photo in my post above was rescued in early spring from the outdoors where it had been left to die. [scaredy]
 -

Much of it was frost-bitten and died within a few weeks. [tears]
 -

All the dead branches were lopped off and the few surving ones pruned back by a third. Also, because the plant was in a too large pot, I repotted into a smaller pot. It isn't normally advisable to repot a distressed plant but not really expecting it to live anyway, I had nothing to lose and the risk of down-potting seemed less than the risk of overwatering if I left it in the oversized pot. At the same time I pruned the dead roots (about 1/2 the rootball). By the time I finished, it was a pathetic-looking "Charlie Brown" tree with a single slender trunk. [Big Grin]
 -

Five months later the Ficus is recovering nicely from its near demise. Under that finicky, pouting, leaf-dropping exterior is one TOUGH plant! [flower] So prune away!

Cricket
by Mandy N. on September 06, 2005 09:54 PM
Cricket, you have been an amazing help! Thank you so much!

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: gropole| Next thread: Ground Cover »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: