The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

dracaena fungus problems

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2004
« Prev thread: Dracaena deremensis 'Warneckei'| Next thread: dracaena marginata »
Back to Thread index
by delawaredrew on November 19, 2004 01:14 AM
Hi,
I was given several Lucky Bamboo recently and one of them has developed a white growth on the leaves. It seems to stress the plant greatly as leaves are turning yellow. More problematic is that it has jumped to another plant (my oldest and largest houseplant)that I've always heard called a corn tree, though it looks like a very large and woody dracaena. This plant is heavily affected.
Hope someone can help,
delawaredrew
by weezie13 on November 19, 2004 04:35 PM
Hello Delawaredrew,
Welcome to The Garden Helper's Forum!!!
We are very glad you found us!!!

I just wanted to let you know, I was going to move your post into the HOUSE PLANT SECTION,
I'm sure someone that frequents that section will be able to help you a little bit better with your question....

Weezie

P/S Don't forget to take a peak around and visit all of our sections here, got lot's to do and to keep you busy, especially in those cold winter months ahead!!!

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/
by Will Creed on November 20, 2004 04:22 AM
Can you describe the "white growth?" Does it look like bits of cotton?
by Jiffymouse on November 20, 2004 03:23 PM
fyi, a corn plant is a form of draceana...
by delawaredrew on November 21, 2004 02:59 AM
First, many thanks to Will and jiffymouse for responding.
Will..., yes the growth looks like bits of cotton and is sticky to the touch. Also seems to leave opaque spots on leaves when washed off.
jiffy...thanks for the corn plant info, know any other common names for it?
Thanks for helping!!!
delawaredrew@yahoo.com
by Bill on November 21, 2004 03:21 AM
It sounds like your plants have mealy bugs...

-
by delawaredrew on November 21, 2004 06:14 AM
Bill,
Thanks for the response. I read up on mealy bugs a little and am still not sure if that is what is going on here. I just cleaned the entirety of the two infected plants with soap and water which seems to have gotten rid of obvious problems. It has only affected the dracaena so far and I never noticed any actual bugs, but no one has ever mistaken me for an expert at this so thanks for the advice. I'll keep you posted.
by delawaredrew on November 22, 2004 05:19 AM
Bill,
Your diagnosis was absolutly correct. I found a couple of remaining bugs at the leaf bases and other tight spots. I hadn't looked close enough before. Glad to know what I'm facing.
Thanks
[thumb] delawaredrew

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Dracaena deremensis 'Warneckei'| Next thread: dracaena marginata »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: