The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Lily Coming Back! Advice?

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2005
« Prev thread: lily bulbils??| Next thread: Lily Pads »
Back to Thread index
by JenT on March 13, 2005 08:12 AM
Hi everyone! Thanks to your tips, my beautiful potted Mona Lisa lily is sending two tiny shoots up from the container. I am so excited. Now, here in CA we won't get a hard freeze, but is there anything I should do to help keep her safe? I never did prune back last year's dead stalks (too afraid). Should I just go for it? Prune down to the dirt?

Thanks for helping me out! This is what happens when I get sucked into buying something because it looks "so pretty"!

Jen
by obywan59 on March 13, 2005 10:23 AM
If you've kept the pot outside, you shouldn't need to do anything special as it is acclimated to outdoors conditions. Just watch the dryness if you don't get any rain. It shouldn't need a lot of water as long as it's still cool out, but it will need more later as it starts to grow and the temperatures warm up.

Go ahead and prune the old stems down to the ground. They're just empty husks now. You won't hurt a thing.

-
Terry

May the force be with you
by blooms4fr on April 01, 2005 05:42 PM
If your stalks that you didn't prune back are brown, then they are dead stalks & yes you should prune them back. That is just cleaning up the plant and will not harm it, especially since the new growth has started.

-
Julia
"dreams & wishes are the start of fantastic ideas, follow them through"

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: lily bulbils??| Next thread: Lily Pads »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: