The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Venus Fly Trap, Open Bud

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2005
by SupremePresence on August 03, 2005 04:16 PM
Hi all. This is my first post so 'Hello Everyone'.

I just bought my 1st Fly Trap, It managed to 'half catch a fly' 2 days ago but the fly is hanging out of the trap and is still alive so I don't know how much nutrients the plant is getting from that fly. But last night I gave the plant 4 more flies which have been terrorising our house so I caught them and fed them to my plant. However that was last night and this morning one of the traps has opened right up with the fly still there pretty much untouched just sitting in the trap.

Is this a bad sign as I was under the impression that this would take several days? In feeding the trap so many flies at once, have I over trapped it and used too much of it's 'energy'?

Thanks for any help.

Chris
by Sami on August 05, 2005 06:40 AM
I don't know much about them, so I can't help much but I do know that they only open/close a few times in their lifetime.

-
Talentless but connected.
by JustAGirl on August 07, 2005 09:56 AM
I have a Venus Fly Trap although I'm no expert on them mine is thriving.

It may be that you fed it too much at one time. [dunno] I only feed my plant one or two things at a time.
by SupremePresence on August 11, 2005 11:04 PM
Thanks people!

I decided to just leave the thng alone for a couple of days. That menat no food, no water so the wet soil could dry out. It looks really healthy now, and there are loads of traps (although most of them are tiny).

Active Garden Forum