The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Need help in Michigan!

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2005
by Dreamweaver on March 13, 2005 06:31 PM
I am just north of Detroit in Zone 5b and want to plant liriope (monkey grass) as a border. I grew up with this wonderful border plant in Texas and desperately want to use it here in Michigan. Am I just asking for failure or is there hope? I am told by some growers that it is possible but I am hoping someone has personal experience in this area. I understand that it is similar to grape hyacinth and man have I got an abundance of that! HELP!!!
by tkhooper on March 21, 2005 12:19 AM
Hi dreamweaver,

I'm not comming up with anything on this plant under either name monkey grass or lipiope. That's maybe why you aren't getting alot of responses. Could you maybe check the spelling? Usually there is at least one picture of a plant on the net somewhere that would help too. But then I'm not in Michigan so I guess I wouldn't be of any use.

Just wanted you to know that you had been heard.

-
 -
by weezie13 on March 21, 2005 12:30 AM
No, she's got the right name,
I've heard of it, I just don't grow it...

I did find a beautiful, vibrant lime green one
*a little pricey where I found it but cool looking*
Here's the link.....
Pee Dee Gold Ingot Monkey Grass (Liliaceae) Z. 6-10 Sun to Shade
And it does give a wee bit of info on it,
that it should be hardy in your area....

Here's another one.....
Liriope muscari 'Big Blue'

Weezie

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/
by tkhooper on March 22, 2005 01:56 AM
way to go weezie, i probably misspelled everything on my search. Some days my mind just will not sit down and pay attention

-
 -
by Dreamweaver on March 23, 2005 01:14 AM
Thank you for your help. I am going to give it a go! There's only one way to find out, I guess, and that is just to jump in there and try. Thanks again. I'll let you know how it turns out!
by Jiffymouse on March 24, 2005 11:30 PM
oh dreamweaver, you are so on the right track. that is my favorite border plant in the whole world!
by blooms4fr on April 01, 2005 05:22 PM
Dreamweaver, I am a 5b/6a zone and have had liriope growing for the last 5 years here, so yours should do just fine. In fact you reminded me that mine is well overdue for dividing. Just another chore to add on the 'to do for spring' list. Good luck in your gardens.

-
Julia
"dreams & wishes are the start of fantastic ideas, follow them through"

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: