The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

CANNA BULBS.........HOW 2 DO THEM??

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
Pages: 1 2
by dodge on April 15, 2006 08:45 AM
[dunno] [dunno]
[scaredy]
HUNTING INFORMATION ON CANNA BULBS..

I JUST PLANTED 3 ORANGE ONES.....DO PESTS EAT THE FLOWERS? LIKE BEATLES? I AM ASSUMING THEY MUST BE LIFTED AND STORED IN THAT FALL IN ZONE 5?

TELL ME HOW .
[critic]
THANKS FOLKS .

DODGE

-
 -
''''Those who live in the Lord Never See Each Other For The Last Time!''''
by netty on April 15, 2006 08:54 AM
Hi Dodge [wavey]
I pot up my Canna's usually at the end of March and that gets them growing. After the risk of frost is over (May 24 here) I plant them in the garden. After the frost has killed the leaves in the fall I dig them back up and store them in a cool dark place. I've never had any problems with pests on my Canna's.

-
 -
by plants 'n pots on April 15, 2006 10:34 AM
ditto what netty said.
I'd just like to add that I stored mine in peat, in a cardboard box in a closet in the basement. Started them up again about a month ago, and they are growing strong in 5 gallon pots.

-
 -
 - Lynne's knitting journal  -  -  -
"I'm spayed, declawed, and housebound - how's YOUR day going???"
by dodge on April 15, 2006 09:27 PM
NETTY
PLANTS,

THANKS.BUT EEK i PLANTED MINE IN THE OUTSIDE YESTERDAY.....IT SAID PLANT NOW.. HOWEVER IF IT POPS UP I PLANT TO COVER THEM.

THANKS..GUESS N.Y. IS CLOSE TO MY 5 ZONE TEMP. I HOPE TO DO THAT COME FALL..PUT A MESSAGE OUT IN THE FALL TO REMIND ME.......
PERHAPS GARDEN HELPER CAN MAKE A NEW CATAGORY?/
HINT HINT HINT [gabby] [gabby] ......

DODGE ;O)

-
 -
by tkhooper on April 15, 2006 09:54 PM
I hope you gave them plenty of room. I was suprised at how they multiple even in one year.

-
 -
by peppereater on April 15, 2006 09:58 PM
Cannas are really tough, Dodge. Even after they sprout, they'll survive a little frost...even if the tops get burned a little from frost, they'll resprout and do fine!

-
Dave
Even my growlights are getting restless!
by dodge on April 15, 2006 11:47 PM
peppereater,

Gees thanks....

Now these are orange, an said they bloom all summer? Are there other colors?
How wide do they spread?

Dodge

-
 -
by peppereater on April 16, 2006 12:02 AM
They come in varieties of red, yellow and orange, and yes, they bloom all summer!
Some get about 3 feet tall, some over 6 feet!
I think you're supposed to plant 2 or 3 together, and they'll make a clump about a foot or more wide, and you'll have tons of new roots to dig in the early winter.
In zone 7, I leave mine in the ground...If you don't get them all when you dig, and you have a mild winter, they'll be sprouting up for you next year!

-
Dave
by tkhooper on April 16, 2006 02:17 AM
Try and find some of the tropicana canna if you can. Talk about some of the pretties foliage you ever want to see on a canna these are it. They are multi-colored stripes. You don't even have to wait for them to bloom to have great looking plants. I have them on my wish list as you can tell. I forgot who has one but someone posted a picture of one last year and I've been mad for them every since.

-
 -
by dodge on April 16, 2006 08:19 AM
Peppereater,
Wee if your zone 7 and I am zone 5 , it should work for me.........thanks.. Sometime i get lazy to dig .........

tkhooper and peppereater......Now some one sent me canna seeds from california.. Hard to open. I am soaking them in water and see 2 sprouts.. First i filed them with a callus file, to get to the insides????
Are these the same family????//They just said canna
Thanks groupies.

dodge

-
 -
by tkhooper on April 16, 2006 07:46 PM
yep you can do them from seeds. It just takes longer for them to become a plant.

-
 -
by Jiffymouse on April 16, 2006 09:44 PM
one thing about cannas though. slugs LOVE the leaves... [Frown] [Frown] [Razz]
by dodge on April 16, 2006 11:57 PM
jiffymouse,

slugs love the leaves........An I dont drink beer.. They say put a dish out for them......They better leave the bulbs alone.

dodge

-
 -
by Jiffymouse on April 17, 2006 05:42 AM
so far they have left my bullbs alone, just ate the leaves!
by tkhooper on April 17, 2006 05:51 AM
I used broken up egg shells around my hosta to detour the slugs. So far it seems to be working. Maybe it would work for the canna too?

-
 -
by peppereater on April 17, 2006 06:39 AM
quote:
Originally posted by dodge:
Peppereater,
Wee if your zone 7 and I am zone 5 , it should work for me.........thanks.. Sometime i get lazy to dig .........

Dodge...I didn't mean to say that they'd always survive in the ground, just in a mild winter. You should dig some up after a frost and save them for spring!

-
Dave
by dodge on April 17, 2006 07:55 AM
tk,

It is worth a try.. Hd eats eggs everyday..

Maybe it keeps them busy.. Never had a problem with hosta..

dodge.

-
 -
by morninglori on April 18, 2006 08:56 AM
Wow, this is fascinating folks. It is so interesting to see how the same plants do in different parts of the country (or world for that matter).

Cannas down here in Texas is one of the 'plants even you can't kill'. You stick em in the ground and leave em. After a couple of years, you go in with a pick axe and try to thin them out and bribe your friends to take some (while they are trying to get you to take theirs). They grow with almost no water, in almost solid shade, full sun and and anything in between. They come in yellows and pinks and reds and come in regular and dwarf. They are great at camoflaging sheds and piles of pots and garden debris you didn't get around to throwing away.

For variety, you can put in the ones with the striped leaves (like Tropicana), because it gives them flavor. And you can put the dwarf ones in front of the others and they will all bloom all summer and all fall over together in the fall and make lovely mulch. Slugs don't seem to like mine, so go figure. (Picky slugs).
by dodge on April 18, 2006 09:04 AM
MORNINGLORI,

YOR A DOWNRIGHT SHOWOFF.........;O)

HA HA YEP TEXAS IS BIG ON FLOWERS.. RIGHT NOW I OWN TEXAS SAGO PALM, MEXICAN PETUNIAS , TEXAS GINGER .......OK SPEAKING OF GINGER.. IT ISNT EATABLE IS IT?/ mINE IS 2 FOOT TALL, INSIDE THE HOUSE.. I KEPT IT IN THE BASEMENT ALL WINTER. NOW IT IS AT IT AGAIN.. LADY FROM TEXAS GAVE ME THEM AND LOTS OF CACTUS......ALL GREW .. INSIDE.HA HA.......YES I AM TRULY AMAZED.. HOWEVER IT ALL DEPENDS WHERE ONE LIVES AND LOVES.

DODGE

-
 -
by newbie gardener on April 23, 2006 03:27 PM
Just curious about you filing the canna seeds then soaking them. Is it because it helps to break down the outer shell which is probably quite thick.

I have been trying to plant by seed in my garden and have not been to sucessful. How do you know when to do this? Should you soak all seeds first before planting and how do you know when to file them?
by SpringFever on April 23, 2006 03:40 PM
Usually the large seeds you knick a little with a knife and soak them over night.. I tried several different things this year, and the best was to let my large moonflower seeds set in warm water for several days.. I kept changing the water and kept filling it with warm water till they sprouted and put them in the dirt... It was the best way I found to get the best yield of my big seeds.. [wavey]

-
 -
Tonight I am having friends for dinner... Hanibal Lector My Album
by newbie gardener on April 23, 2006 04:15 PM
Thanks spring fever... it never dawned on me to soak any seeds, it actually makes alot of sense and probably speeds up the growing process. Maybe that is why most of my seeds never materialize...

I too just planted some Moonflower seeds just a few days ago. Just wish I could remember where I planted them.

Note to self-be sure to buy plant markers!!LOL
by newbie gardener on April 23, 2006 04:23 PM
Hey Spring fever, just curious as to what state you are in? Would like to see the difference between how our moonflowers sprout up.

I planted some last weekend at my husbands place in Ohio and just this week here in Toronto.
by dodge on April 24, 2006 02:13 AM

i PLANTED MOONIES AWHILE AGO....iNSIDE..iSNT IT TOO EARLY FOR ANNUALS IN oHIO? We still get frost in zone 5 ......May 31 is safe to come up.

Just wondering?/ Ohio maybe warmer if they are closer to the lake.....What part of Ohio is he in? My sis lived in Cleveland.....neice in Mentor.

dodge

-
 -
by SpringFever on April 24, 2006 02:13 AM
Massachusetts.. I planted mine about a month ago now... I didn't do the soak and only got 1 seed to sprout.. and its 4 inches tall now ... they are pretty though..
The big seeds are easier that way..I did the same with morning glories did 1 soaked and 1 not and the soaked ones are about 3 inches now and the others never sprouted!

-
 -
by SpringFever on April 24, 2006 02:16 AM
It is early but it is so on the harry edge..
I have had all my annuals out for the last week.
If we get a threat of frost I bring them to the back porch.. [dunno]

-
 -
by dodge on April 24, 2006 02:20 AM

i PLANTED MOONIES AWHILE AGO....iNSIDE..iSNT IT TOO EARLY FOR ANNUALS IN oHIO? We still get frost in zone 5 ......May 31 is safe to come up.

Just wondering?/ Ohio maybe warmer if they are closer to the lake.....What part of Ohio is he in? My sis lived in Cleveland.....neice in Mentor.

dodge

-
 -
by newbie gardener on April 24, 2006 04:08 AM
Hey Dodge, my husband is in Dublin. Which is about 120 miles south of Cleveland. If I am correct I believe it borders zone 5/6. I think it is alittle warmer down thier.

I did not realize Moonflowers are annuals...oh well they will look nice if they do come up.

I think I will make a habit of niking and soaking my seeds from now on and see what happens.
by dodge on April 24, 2006 04:39 AM

Some reason I have received lots of hard shelled seeds????? I am trying that hard.. Took some and put them in a baggie with a little water and tape it to the sunny window....
Try that one too.

RIGht now I have Ginko Bilobo seeds to do.. DOnt know if I should they say the female is a stinker.. SHe smells terrible? DO you know anything on that one?

[scaredy] [scaredy] [scaredy] THANKS ..DODGE..

-
 -
by SpringFever on April 24, 2006 09:50 AM
[Big Grin] [Big Grin] [dunno] Now that I have never heard!!
I have heard the window trick though..
the seed itself smells or when you put it in the water??

-
 -
by dodge on April 24, 2006 10:00 AM
No
when it grows into a tree.....It is smelly?/

Ha ha [Mad] [Mad] [Mad]
Maybe I can then say, OH YOU LITTLE STINKER..

HA HA;O)

DODGE

-
 -
by ShazzieMc on April 25, 2006 05:11 AM
Canna's are great.Easy to grow and they multiple like bunnies.My first year gardening a friend gave me 3 bulbs..When I dug them up..I had 3 milk crates full.I live in zone 6(or 7 depending on who you ask) [Big Grin] I put mine in right after Mother's Day. Never lost one yet...Matter of fact I gave quite a few away last spring.I may have spoken too soon though, I had surgery in November and was injured and out of my garden by mid Sep.I didn't get the chance to get mine out last fall [Frown] ...I crossing my fingers..Praying..Wishing that we had a Mild enough winter for them to survive..I have talked to friends who grow them and they say I might have a fighting chance...So take comfort..They are a cake walk..Good Luck!!
[thumb]

" Great Spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediorce minds"
~ Albert Einstein ~
by SpringFever on April 25, 2006 11:55 AM
Really Dodge?? Never had one .. [dunno] Never knew they smelt bad.. Do you plan on using it as a whatever they do..vitanin, herb ,natural healer??

-
 -
by dodge on April 25, 2006 12:09 PM
spring feavar,

All I was going to do is see if it would grow, and pawn it off on someone else.

ha hah

Littler stinker.

dodge [tongue] [tongue] [tongue]

-
 -
by porter57 on April 25, 2006 03:05 PM
shazzie,they say they will die off but you know what?
one heck of a lot of folks leave em in the ground up here in zone 5 and dont have a problem.
its a gamble ,but from what im seeing,not a big one.
guess its got something to do with global warming. ive left em in myself along with cannas , callas , and even glads.
dont take my word for it though.
maybe try a little experiment with a little of your stock and see what kind of results you get!
by dodge on April 25, 2006 03:29 PM
porter

Maybe my zone is FREEZONE..;O)

DODGE

-
 -
by porter57 on April 25, 2006 03:48 PM
i tell ya what, im not gonna dig em up this year(last year was the first time i dug the cannas and callas out,just started out with glads and dahlias,the one dahlia i dug out doesnt appear to be coming back but its still early yet. the new dahlias i planted are growing well and the old one hasnt shown yet, (dang it i like that one)
well see what transpires and compare notes.
i think the old one was of the halskrag variety
at least thats what ive seen on the web.
i bought it from a old time supermarket(a vanishing breed here in st louis and probably every where) spring sale just cause i thought it looked neat. didnt know what it was , just took a chance. was a very nice plant that produced lovely blooms all summer and fall long.didnt know a thing about dahlias before then.
did some research on the web and figured out what it was. i keep looking at where i planted it and hoping but nothing is showing yet.
kinda looks like i may have lost it. unless its one of those that comes up later. yea thats the spirit, itll come up later!
by dodge on April 25, 2006 03:56 PM
pORTER ,
HOW ABOUT TULIPS? DO YOU DIG THOSE UP? PUT SOME NICE ONES IN 2 YEARS AGO , NOW THEY ARE SLOWER THAN THE NEW ONES I PUT IN LAST FALL?? BEATS ME?
THE NEW BUNCH IS ABSOLUTELY GORGOUS......
NOW I PLANTED DALHIA SEED LAST SPRING.. GREW GORGOUS.......WERE TO BE HARDY, LIKE YOU SAY, NO SHOW YET.........I KEEP HOPING AND WAITING.. TOO.
GUESS WERE HOOKED ON FLOWERS....;O)

DODGE [clappy] [clappy] [clappy]

-
 -
by SpringFever on April 25, 2006 04:20 PM
Love flowers .. Don't really grow early spring ones though.. just too cold to go out.. Hate being cold.. dalhia i did grow last year loved it and don't think I used proper storage for it...I put it in a box down in my cellar I am not sure it will grow this year but it was Pretty!!

-
 -
by dodge on April 26, 2006 12:29 AM
S f

No one likes cold.......But I learned to love snow and ride my 4 wheeler in it.. It is a popular sport up here.. Snowmobiles... i prefer 4 wheels.

dodge

-
 -
by SpringFever on April 26, 2006 03:14 AM
Dodge you get a little snow.. we usually get crazy snow [shocked] last year we got the blizzard the snow was almost over my sons head!! [nutz]
between the shoveling and trying to get around it gets old fast!

-
 -
by dodge on April 26, 2006 06:59 AM
SpringF.

No we didnt get snow .....Rain for 4 days now.. It is 60 degrees here .....40 at nite, and we may go down to 30 on thursday.. ALl plants in the basement that nite.....I have tomatoes , peppers, lots of flowers out on the east side of the porch .. Inside this week.
No we dont usually get snow this late.. May is out garden starting here.
Feel bad for you who do.

dodge

-
 -
by ShazzieMc on April 26, 2006 07:26 AM
Thanks for the comfort Porter..I think they'll be ok.So you leave calla's in too? They are my absolute favorite flower,and i have'nt yet tried to grow them...Maybe this year.
About Dahalia's aren't some Perenials? Some Annuals? My kids gave my some for Mother's
Day 2 years ago and they never came back..Then a friend gave me some and they came back last year..
I'd like to get the ones that come back [Embarrassed] (things that come back are great,cause I'm lazy sometimes.)

" Great Spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediorce minds"
~ Albert Einstein ~
by SpringFever on April 26, 2006 07:43 AM
We got some a few years ago on may 10 or something crazy.. Freak storm.. ?? usually Jan and feb are the worst months for snow though..
your lucky you don't get so much down there!
Really puts a wrench in the garden!!

-
 -
by porter57 on April 26, 2006 01:59 PM
trouble with dahlias is that while they are perinials,they arent winter hardy whatsoever.
and so far ,my attempts to dig them up and save them havent been successful(first time tring though,you never know)
as for the tulips,digging em up wont help em.
typically the first year is great,followed by a major decline the second year and it gets much worse after that. maybe clip the bloom before the flower goes to seed.perhaps that will get ya a little more time with them. but most folks replant them with new bulbs yearly for the showiest flowers.kinda wonder what the dutch know that we dont. someone has to grow em to supply us with bulbs.
by SpringFever on April 26, 2006 02:03 PM
No dahlias they ar not you have to pull them for winter porter.. my first time as well I think I did something wrong.. tulips just leave them cut the spent flowers and let the folige live till it dies off... after years you will have to remove some of the bulbs from being over crowded..

-
 -
by dodge on April 26, 2006 02:19 PM
porter,

[wavey]
You must of read my mind........That is the story I was telling my husband at supper tonite..the new ones look the greatest.. i have to read up on them......Like you said , they do decline yearly.......
Ha ha
You have smarts.....Got me thinking now.

[thumb]
dodge

-
 -
by SpringFever on April 26, 2006 02:25 PM
Usually when they get over crowded they die out no room to sprout try to dig some after they die off and see if they are choking out.. that is the problem with my neighbors I will send a pic tomarrow ..

-
 -
by porter57 on April 26, 2006 02:50 PM
my tulips were absolutely glorious this year,their first in the garden. i actually had nieghbors coming by tio take pictures of em.
i hope they dont expect the same thing next year.
they are just about done for the year and ive got a bit of a loll going on right now as the summer plants grow. but once june and july gets here,there will be so much in bloom it will make tour head spin.ive kind of gotten carried away with it, i probably should have just put a few yews in,but id rather have flowers then weeds and if i can crowd the weeds out,so much the better!
by dodge on April 26, 2006 03:16 PM
porter,
springfeaver,

I was thinking of lifting mine when they are done..Mainly because the weeds have time to attack me.........If I replant this fall I will have fewer weeds....I hope.

dodge

-
 -

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: