The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Bluestone catalog

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: BLUEBIRDS| Next thread: BOG GARDEN »
Back to Thread index
by johnCT on April 13, 2006 08:02 PM
Let me start by saying that I have nothing bad to say about their service and product. I've ordered from them a number of times. I just got their latest catalog in the mail and I was looking through it last night. I was amazed at how doctored all of the photos are in it. How far can they actually go before its considered "misrepresentation"? Take a look at the picture of the pink Dianthus. I'm not sure what page it was, but it was the PPA plant of the year a few years ago. [Frown] Some of those pictures are just plain silly looking. I can first remember noticing it a few years ago after buying a Scabiosa 'Butterfly Blue" at HD or somewhere. Looking at the pictures of them in all the catalogs was just ridiculous. All of them tried to make it more "blue" looking then it actually was. [Roll Eyes]

Bluestone is definitely NOT the only company doing this. All of the bigger catalogs do. It's just absurd if you ask me.

John - Zone 6
by porter57 on April 13, 2006 09:22 PM
peacock lilies come to mind for me.
advertised as breathtaking, they simply didnt impress me. the pictures in the catalog along with the dramatic descriptions,they didnt live up to the hype.
by cinta on April 13, 2006 10:58 PM
Speaking of peacock lilies. I brought some years ago and they were so fragrant you could smell them from quite a distance. The last bulbs I brought had absolutly no fragrance.

So now we have to see doctored photos and bulbs/flowers not performing as they should.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/audwoman/

If you want the rainbow you have to put up with the rain!!
by Danny5uk on April 13, 2006 10:59 PM
Its the same with mobile phones, the colour screen/images to see on the phone in the books are superimpozed onto the phone. They all do it regardless of what they are selling from trainers to plants.

Its makes the product look nicer than it really is, and so you but it.

http://www.lookingsharp.co.uk
by tkhooper on April 14, 2006 05:11 AM
Yep we are definitely in a buyer beware time slot. Bill Gates has taught the commerical world that they don't have to have a good product they just have to sell it.

It's definitely back to the local garden center for plants and my friends in the seed exchange here on the forum for seeds.

-
 -
by alankhart on April 15, 2006 12:52 AM
I've learned that in almost every case if they use the word "blue" to decribe a flower it means it will be some shade of purple, no matter what the photo looks like. Very deceiving....

-
 -
 -

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: BLUEBIRDS| Next thread: BOG GARDEN »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: