The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Lavender help - it's not looking so good

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: Lavender| Next thread: Lavender turning gray »
Back to Thread index
by Av8trx on April 08, 2006 12:55 AM
This is my first attempt at photos - thanks to Mary for helping with photobucket info - THANKS! [wavey]

In my intro I explained that I recently purchased my house - 10/04. Last spring I was elated to see all the pretty flowers by the house - but I had no clue what they were. After they began flowering I could smell that some was lavender - so pretty [flower] I harvested it last year, but this year it's not looking so hot - I didn't prune it last year (didn't know I was supposed to) - so I am wondering what, if anything, should I be doing now? Some of the plant looks greyish green and alive, some looks like dead sticks with a little bit of greenish stuff - but just a little. Here are some photos to illustrate what I am trying to describe... lavender
more lavender

and more lavender

what are your thoughts?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Katie - Zone 6a
by Triss on April 08, 2006 01:44 AM
Looks like it is in need of some trimming. Personally, I would get rid of the stuff that is not doing so well and give all the green I am seeing room to grow.

-
 -
We are all under the same stars... therefore we are never far apart.
by patches1414 on April 08, 2006 01:59 AM
I would get rid of all the dead stuff (brown) and trim the rest back to where you have the new green growth starting.

patches [kitty]

-
 -
"Lord, I love you and I need you, come into my heart, and bless me, my family, my home, and my friends, in Jesus' name. Amen!"
by Av8trx on April 08, 2006 03:13 AM
Thanks Triss and Patches - I am so thankful for the info [thumb]

I really do like the lavender and was afraid my ignorance of what was there was going to be fatal! I hope it lasts cause it is very beuatiful (and good smelling too).

Thanks again! [kissies]

Katie - Zone 6a
by angelblossom on April 09, 2006 04:16 AM
I agree with Triss and Patches Trimm ALL the brown down 2/3rds but don't cut into wood stocks coming directly from the base then it won't bloom this year and scratch up the soil and give them a good drink of liquid fertilizer you can even give some of the green a good "haircut" lavenders love it right now in the beginning of spring wouldn't even hurt to put some epson salt scratched in the soil . when they're grown strong don't let it "spraw out' it can get too top heavey and begin to 'fall in the center keep the falling branches trimmed and it will produce more blooms and get fuller [thumb]

-
 -
Sorrow looks back, Worry looks around, Faith looks up!  -  -
http://photobucket.com/albums/e374/2thtek/  -  -
by Deborah L. on April 09, 2006 12:58 PM
We have a local gardening show here, and one week they were saying that lavendar lives only three years. I had never heard that, and I hope it's not true !
I also would trim away the dead stuff and cross my fingers !
My favorite lavendar is the very fragrant English lavendar. Although I think the lacy Spanish one is prettiest. It has no fragrance though.

-
 -
by patches1414 on April 09, 2006 03:00 PM
Hi Deborah, [wavey]

I've never heard that it only lives three years. I would dispute that because I still have my lavendar plants that I've had for many years and they are doing fine. [thumb] I love the English lavendar too and the smell is heavenly! [angel]

patches [kitty]

-
 -
"Lord, I love you and I need you, come into my heart, and bless me, my family, my home, and my friends, in Jesus' name. Amen!"
by Herbyann on April 09, 2006 03:59 PM
I've never heard of lavender being a three year plant. There annuals, bi-annuals and perennials. Just get into it with some small shears and cut away the dead wood. You won't be left with much except the little green at the bottoms. Lavender needs to be carefully deadheaded. If you don't pick it then ye need to cut the dead blooms at the closest greenery on each stem. The look youhave is because it wasn't harvested completly or deadheaded after blooming. You have some great plants there. Enjoy!

PS if they get to big ye can always divide the plant, but that doesn't look like yer problem now. Good luck!!

[Smile] Herby Hugs,
Anne [muggs]
by Meighan on April 12, 2006 07:54 AM
Hi all [Smile] There are some really fantastic hybrids coming out these days, I hate to sound like an advertisment for spring hill lol- but I ordered 3 of their 'wings of night' lavenders, they look amazing in the photos, only hope my sweet little starters will do nearly as well! Go to their site to see what they look like [Smile] Just thought you might enjoy another lavender option.

Meg

Fumbling gardener
by Av8trx on April 29, 2006 06:37 AM
Ok - you guys gave me some great suggestions regarding how to take care of my 'not so hot' lavender - well, I followed your instructions and just look at it now [Love] [Love] [Love] It looks fantastic! I wasn't thinking I'd get much scent or buds off it this year, but now I am thinking I might. [Love] Thanks for all your great expertise!

lavender

thanks again! [Love] [Love] [Love]

Katie - Zone 6a
by Triss on April 29, 2006 06:43 AM
That looks so awesome now!

-
 -
We are all under the same stars... therefore we are never far apart.
by angelblossom on April 29, 2006 10:30 AM
Av8trx... [clappy] [clappy] [clappy] [clappy] good job!

-
 -
Sorrow looks back, Worry looks around, Faith looks up!  -  -
http://photobucket.com/albums/e374/2thtek/  -  -
by joclyn on April 30, 2006 03:03 PM
wow!!! they really came back wonderfully!!!
by weezie13 on June 03, 2006 04:51 PM
Av8trx,
Those are nice lookin' lavendar plants..

But I wanted to especially THANK~YOU for
the updates..
[critic] [flower] [clappy] [clappy] [clappy] [thumb] [kissies] It's alllways soooooo nice to hear when someone has come here for some help and questions, and they return with such great news...

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Lavender| Next thread: Lavender turning gray »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: