The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

leaf mould

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2002
« Prev thread: Leaf Miner Infestation| Next thread: leafless portulaca »
Back to Thread index
by Fred on November 21, 2002 09:37 AM
each autumn we are encouraged to make leaf mould if we have the resources.all the trees
i have access to have black spot.am i able to use these leaves to make leaf mould?
many thanks fred.
by Acanthus on December 02, 2002 05:02 PM
It's never good to use any diseased material to make compost, you run the risk of spreading it to new plants. If good compost is what you are after, look for alternative sources for raw material, ie. raw veggie scraps, clean eggshells, grass clippings, undyed paper, paper towels, etc.
by japanjan on December 07, 2002 03:05 AM
I agree, you should be careful...>For example, I have some trees(which will hopefully be removed this winter) which get a horrible black mold on their leaves every summer. It starts around July. The big problem is that it spreads to the surrounding plants. Which is why I am having them cut down....But I would never, never used them in part of my composting system..Instead, I got my neighbors leaves from down the street. They have lots of healthy trees in their yard and don't garden so they were glad for me to take them.....Good Luck, jan

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Leaf Miner Infestation| Next thread: leafless portulaca »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: