The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Can I move iris??

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
by Drea on April 04, 2006 03:37 AM
I'm moving tomorrow and just spent 2 hrs. with the former owners on Sat. She showed me where everthing is planted, but the area that I had planned for glads and dahlias is full of iris and japanese lantern etc..
Most of the snow has melted and you can already see the "crowns" of the irises here...there...everywhere.lol
I would really like to move them, but will I kill them if I move them before they mature and blossom?How long will they bloom??
by peppereater on April 04, 2006 10:05 AM
You can move them, some will probably bloom...in fact, if you divide them, carefully, you might get more blooms than if you didn't. You "can't kill" irises! Plant them very shallow...

-
Dave
Even my growlights are getting restless!
by obywan59 on April 04, 2006 11:01 AM
Dave's right. Irises are easy. I once had an iris rhizome in a jar of water for months and months before I planted it, and it did just fine.

When you plant them, have them all facing in the same direction, i.e. rhizomes to the back, foliage to the front, or if in a circle, rhizomes to the center. I think they say to replant them every five years anyway.

-
Terry

May the force be with you
by patches1414 on April 04, 2006 05:24 PM
Drea, I see no problem with you moving the irises now because I just moved some of mine last week-end. In the past I've even moved them much later in the year and I've never had any problems with them. I plant the rhizomes so they are barely covered with dirt and they do fine. [Wink]

patches [kitty]

-
 -
"Lord, I love you and I need you, come into my heart, and bless me, my family, my home, and my friends, in Jesus' name. Amen!"
by cinta on April 05, 2006 09:06 AM
Iris are so great. They seem to live through anything.

Can you leave Dahlias and Glads in or do you have to dig them and store them in the winter? Is there room to put a few Galds and Dahlias around the Iris area? It takes them a long time to bloom and the Iris might be a welcome flower in early summer until your favorite flowers bloom.

I asked these questions because I made the mistake when I brought my house of moving plants and planting things before I gave it a lot of thought.

The next house I buy. I will wait a year and watch what is growing and get a good feel for everything before I plan my gardens. I have so much re-do now because I did not plan.

I hope you are not offend by the suggestion.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/audwoman/

If you want the rainbow you have to put up with the rain!!
by johnCT on April 05, 2006 10:07 PM
Iris' are difficult to kill, but you can cause them to NOT flower if you plant the rhizomes too deeply. They need to be just below the soil surface and in full sun.

John - Zone 6
by joclyn on April 06, 2006 01:40 PM
one year, i moved some of my iris in late may. they did just fine. no blooms and not the amount of growth they would have had if i'd left them where they were. they came back the following year better than ever!
by Drea on April 07, 2006 01:55 AM
Yes, I do have to dig up the glads and dahlias. I'm in zone 3.
I have read about side-dressing with fertilzer, periodically, and I would like to know what it would do to other plants if they are too close..??

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: