The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Need ideas

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
by Bestofour on April 01, 2006 07:33 AM
My daughter, Ginger, who lives in Milledgeville, GA, where it is blazing hot and dry called and asked "what can I plant in the little area by my sidewalk?" There is already something there that last summer I thought was portulaca but it stayed green all winter, and she has 2 boxwoods. She wants something with color. She also wants something that will stay small. She was thinking roses, but this is a girl who is not going to pamper, spray, fertilize and so on. She said she will prune if necessary. I was thinking maybe the type of nandina that the leaves turn red, or lorepedlum which she will have to keep cut back. She doesn't want azaleas. She's going to Lowe's Sunday. Any ideas?

-
 -
 - http://www.picturetrail.com/bestofour  -
by peppereater on April 02, 2006 01:22 AM
Nandinas should be fine. Miniature roses, in my experience, are very low maintenance. I just water mine, and nothing else. No black spot, no problems at all. I grow Rosemary as shrubs, I love them. I also love the purple Fennel. The rosemary is evergreen, and mine has been if flower now for over a month!

-
Dave
Even my growlights are getting restless!
by netty on April 02, 2006 01:23 AM
I have an area like that which has Ajuga burgundy glow. It blooms blue in the spring and has nice color the rest of the year. It can take alot of heat but it grows quickly so it can be invasive.

-
 -
by tkhooper on April 04, 2006 01:25 AM
a variety of Penstemon might work. They don't do well unless they are abused somewhat and the size is right.

Coreopsis is another possiblity goes winter dormant though.

-
 -

Active Garden Forum