The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Bird of Paradise, cracked leaves?

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2004
« Prev thread: bird of paradise| Next thread: Bird of Paradise bloom in Tx? »
Back to Thread index
by glam70s on October 19, 2004 06:28 AM
My boyfriend has a Bird of Paradise plant, between 3 and 4' tall.. It's growing new leaves but very slowly (about 1 every 2 months or so), is that normal? I don't know if it's white or red, we bought it from a grocery store in March and didn't even know what kind of plant it was until a couple of months ago..

And the leaves are cracking and have scars all over the place, small holes in a couple of spots.. Someone said the cracking is just because the leaves are so big they can't support the weight, like banana leaves, is that right? And it did go through a bit of a rough move to the new house in September..

Basically I just need to know if there's any special care it needs or if these things could be symptoms of care problems.. It's pretty beat up, but still growing...

Thanks for any help..

Who would have thought it was possible to become addicted to plants?
by catlover on October 19, 2004 07:19 AM
Welcome to The Garden Helper Glam70s [wayey]
I have only been around b.o.p (bird of paradise) grown outside. If you go to the top of the page and type in the google box "bird of paradise" there are at least 4 pages full of info. I do know bops need a lot of sun. In California they are grown in Full Sun year round outside.
The red is called Strelitzia reginae
The white is called Strelitzia Nicolai

White bop leaves do split which is normal behavior for them. I'm not saying it is a white bop...could still be another reason for the splitting. Reds planted ouside.... the leaves will sometimes split but usually when they are older and have been whipped around from the wind/stress.

While you are reading all the info maybe someone will come through with a reason for the holes.
Catlover [kitty]

-
 -
 -

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: bird of paradise| Next thread: Bird of Paradise bloom in Tx? »
Back to Thread index