The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

"Impatiens seeds are difficult" Fact OR Fiction

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: "HOW OUTTA CONTROL OUR GARDENS' ARE!!!"| Next thread: "Lady" Bugs »
Back to Thread index
by Drea on March 29, 2006 11:16 PM
I have been talking to quite a few people in the last couple days about my impatiens. I'm a rookie,I have never planted seeds before.lol
They have told me not to be too dis-heartened if they don't work out for me. My husband keeps telling me "Dear, they will grow, you will have LOTS of plants" (Bless his heart) [Smile]
Why do they say they are difficult? What is the crucial stage that everyone can't get past??
Thanks, Andrea
by Bestofour on March 30, 2006 07:14 AM
Maybe it's your area. I live in zone 7b and I've never had a problem with impatients. At one house I had the perfect spot. My plants got as big as shrubs. Sometimes here they come back the next year. They like the shade and regular watering. Good luck.

-
 -
 - http://www.picturetrail.com/bestofour  -
by markr on March 30, 2006 08:11 AM
Drea
i grew them a couple of years ago for the first time, and i had no problems!
for best results, germinate seeds in warm humid conditions -70-85f they should germinate in 10-21 days.
i put a clear plastic sheet over mine till they germinate, then uncover when most have sprouted.
the seeds are small, but give them a go!
good luck [thumb]

-
Mark
by dodge on March 30, 2006 08:35 AM
;O)
[grin]
LET ME ADD MY STORY.........THE PLANTS GROW WONDERFUL.......SOMEONE SHARED 10 SEEDS WITH ME , THAT SHE PURCHASED AND PAID $7.00 FOR POSTAGE.........OUT OF TEN , I HAVE ONE SEED GERMINATE......THEY BEEN IN FOR A LONG TIME TOO.
YOU PICKED A HARD ONE TO TRY.

TRY MARIGOLDS THEIR EASIER. [muggs] DODGE

-
 -
''''Those who live in the Lord Never See Each Other For The Last Time!''''
by Bestofour on March 30, 2006 08:39 AM
by rogmee on March 30, 2006 09:36 AM
They need light to germinate. I just press them into the soil, mist with a spray bottle, cover the container (something translucent), and keep them warm.
by neko nomad on March 30, 2006 11:53 AM
Almost all will grow if they're last year's seeds. Sow them now on the surface of a loosened spot in your flower bed, and sprinkle with water regularly, so they may sprout when the soil warms up, like, sometime past mid- april. Replant when the plants get big enough to handle.

my impatiens self- sow, and I keep as many as I can care for; the rest sort of fade out.

-
by Drea on March 30, 2006 11:05 PM
Thanks so much everyone! I'll keep 'em warm and hope to see some greenery in a couple weeks.
---Maybe others haven't kept them at a proper temp/humidity.---??
Right now I have them in a Jiffy greenhouse 72 (the plastic dome tray). It's full and I double planted about 20 of them, just in case. [Roll Eyes]
I'll keep my fingers crossed. BTW--Dodge--Oh NO!
You aren't supposed to tell me that!! [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] With those odds I would end up with.....9. LOL
by tkhooper on March 30, 2006 11:11 PM
Yeppers out of an entire package I have 4 nice plants. But then I still have them indoors. I tried taking one outdoors and the cut worm or something got to it and cut it down. I know at some point I'll have to harden them off and put them out but I'm afraid to at this point. The seeds were down right expensive.

-
 -
by dodge on March 31, 2006 12:18 AM
tkhooper......

You've better luck than i have.. If your the one that traded those to me, I had one seed grow.....It been a fouth of an inch , for weeks now...
However Imps that I wintered over, are blooming and i am taking slips off to root.. They are rooting like mad....Pink ..white and orange so far...My sisters throw aways.....
All depends.......??????(Mom nature)..Sneaky bugger just like the Wild Willies......

;o)
dodge

-
 -
by njoynit on March 31, 2006 10:40 PM
I winter sowed mine& they seem to have all sprouted.I just transplanted them yesterday.mine are reds/pinks/whites/lavender.packet said an even mix of colors.I can tell you I sowed them in march cause was no date on tag.I'm humid all the time being coastal south.I've only grown white& was about 4 years ago around my pond& I'm getting some sun impatiens with broonze leafs red flowers.oh yeah forgot I did grow some pinks with red eyes& white with red eyes was about 7 yrs ago when lived up Indpls.we're planted with white geranuims.

-
 -
I will age ungracefully until I become an old woman in a small garden..doing whatever the Hell I want!

http://community.webshots.com/user/njoynit03
http://community.webshots.com/user/njoynit
http://photos.yahoo.com/njoynit03
by dodge on April 01, 2006 09:41 AM
JUST ONE REMINDER, SEEDS OF THE SAME PLANT , GERMINATE DIFFERENTLY IN EACH ZONE.. IN OTHERWARDS, PENNA, COLD AND TEXAS HEAT MAKE A WORLD OF DIFFERENCE TO SEEDS AND PLANTS. I KNOW A LADY IN HOUSTON, SHE TELLS ME OUR PLANTS DOWN THERE MOSTLY DIE IN 90 DEGREES.

;O)
DODGE

-
 -
by njoynit on April 02, 2006 12:18 PM
I have a rose bush that the same day it blooms its useually pourporri by sunset.problem....TX heat.I was worried winter sowing would not work in coastal south due to lack of cold.I'm wishing they did less.My mums bloom in spring& fall [tongue]

Good thing they need shade.they're gonna need it in TX.I didn't cover my seeds& if we got frost& they'd not sprouted yet they didn't get covered.I WS 2/16.They've been grounded now sometime this week.divided amoung 3 spots.

-
 -
I will age ungracefully until I become an old woman in a small garden..doing whatever the Hell I want!

http://community.webshots.com/user/njoynit03
http://community.webshots.com/user/njoynit
http://photos.yahoo.com/njoynit03
by dodge on April 02, 2006 09:48 PM
just a thought ....... [Confused]

Was wondering why hot states like Texas dont make a shade area with the wood Trillis over head. Like they put on a shaded sun area?
Dont know how to do it ...But it would sheild the plants from hot sun.....??

[dunno]

dodge

-
 -
by Drea on April 07, 2006 02:02 AM
Hi everyone!! Thanks again for your responses.
Well-----So far I have over 30 of my mixed (red, salmon etc)starting to pop up. [clappy] lol remember--this is my first time, this is kinda exciting for me! [Embarrassed] None of my double white have come up yet...?? Have you found various types to come up at different times??
by tkhooper on April 08, 2006 12:52 AM
Hi Drea,

If you have a doube bloom white can I put in an advanced trade for some of the seeds. I really want the double bloom impatiens but haven't been able to find the seeds. What I did find has been very disappointing.

-
 -
by TomR on April 09, 2006 07:21 AM
They only need a light covering of soil and warmth to germinate. They are easy. Once they sprout give them bright light and keep moist.

My memory's not as sharp as it used to be. Also, my memory's not as sharp as it used to be.
by dodge on April 09, 2006 08:14 AM
Drea,

I want to know where you got the doubles?
Imps ......i am hunting far and near for the double Imps......Do you have any double seeds to spare?

dodge

-
 -

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: "HOW OUTTA CONTROL OUR GARDENS' ARE!!!"| Next thread: "Lady" Bugs »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: