The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Moon Flowers

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: moon flowers| Next thread: moonflower »
Back to Thread index
by Honey on March 16, 2006 06:21 AM
I grew Moon Flowers last year & they were beautiful. The problem is that I don't know if I need to replant them or not.The proper name on the seed pack under Moon Flower is "CALONYCTION". The pack says they are annual,but as I have found out on my own, that isn't always the case. Does anyone out there know anything about this? If so please enlighten this southern girl, Lord only knows, I could use some enlightenment on this flower.
Thanks,
Honey bear
by weezie13 on March 16, 2006 06:41 AM
The only thing I know is, they are an annual,
but are also considered a "tender perennial"
so, the plant may actually winter over if you had a mild winter and/or a micro climate place..
*where because of the mild winter and optimal growing conditions* it could live..

It also can reseed it's self in milder climates..

Did you let it go to see, any of the flowers?
Or did you pick all the seed pods..?

There's a chance for both, but I hate to say it,
it's a waiting game to know for sure. [dunno] [thumb] [flower]

Welcome to The Garden Helper's Forum by the way, we are very glad you found us, HoneyBear....

Hope you let us know if they did either or...
We always love to hear about follow~ups to questions..

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/
by Honey on March 16, 2006 06:52 AM
Weezie,
Thanks for emailing me back.I didn't pick any of the seed pods or flowers, hoping they would make more.I guess I will plant more this year too and who knows, maybe I'll get lucky and have double the moon flowers this year. By the way I truly love this website. I have told everyone I know about it... It has helped me so much already & I only found it a week ago!!! Thanks So Much,
Honey Bear
PS. Is there a meaning list for the icons?
by weezie13 on March 16, 2006 07:06 AM
I was going to ask, if there was any harm to plant more seeds and if by chance your others' re~seed or the plant grows, and to have double the amount..
Ohhhhhhhhhh gosh, wouldn't that be soooo beautiful, with like dozens' of those along a fence or trellis...I can just imagine....
*do you have any pictures of the one's you grew last year?*

And we are a very special family here.....
Truly a one of a kind..
We have been very blessed to have a wonderful,
caring group that has accumulated here, who grow leaps and bounds every day by GOD's GRACE...

quote:
[dunno]
Not exactly sure I know what you mean?
Icons, do you mean the gremalins????

Weezie

-
 -
 -

by angelblossom on March 16, 2006 07:12 AM
Honey:: I grow moonflowers every year with seeds(Vineing) they have never come back the next year Tho I believe there is a moonflower that does comes back every year .
I have never picked any of theseed pods or flowers either so I too have learned something Once again on here ,,I started the seeds inside
 -
and just put put them out last week end , this year I put them in the ground I normally put in a hanging basket so once again eexperimenting is the way I learn! AND taking advice from fellow gardners here,,
Yes Honey this Forum is Fabulous!! [thumb]
I've learned sooo much from here ! [critic] [gabby] [clappy] [flower]

-
 -
Sorrow looks back, Worry looks around, Faith looks up!  -  -
http://photobucket.com/albums/e374/2thtek/  -  -
by Honey on March 16, 2006 07:27 AM
quote:
quote:
Not exactly sure I know what you mean?
Icons, do you mean the gremalins????

YES,YES,YES, Gremalins...I See Now..
I will try to find my pictures from last year & send you some.
Honey Bear [Embarrassed] [Big Grin] [thumb] [clappy]
by weezie13 on March 16, 2006 07:34 AM
Gremalins, you can either access them by clicking on the link to the bottom left that says, INSTANT GRAEMLINS, or by going to the FULL REPLY FORM, and accessing them there....
If you hold your mouse over them, they should have words written pop up and tell you, like, clappy, happy, eek, confused, kisses, etc..

Oooooooooh goodie [clappy] , goodie [clappy] , we LOVE [Cool] [Love] pictures [critic] of flowers. [flower] Can not wait...

Weezie

-
 -
 -

by Honey on March 16, 2006 07:35 AM
quote:
Originally posted by angelblossom:
Honey:: I grow moonflowers every year with seeds(Vineing) they have never come back the next year Tho I believe there is a moonflower that does comes back every year .
I have never picked any of theseed pods or flowers either so I too have learned something Once again on here ,,I started the seeds inside
 -
and just put put them out last week end , this year I put them in the ground I normally put in a hanging basket so once again eexperimenting is the way I learn! AND taking advice from fellow gardners here,,
Yes Honey this Forum is Fabulous!! [thumb]
I've learned sooo much from here ! [critic] [gabby] [clappy] [flower]

Mine had 5" white flowers& smelled wonderful!! [kitty]
by angelblossom on March 16, 2006 09:34 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Honey::
Mine had 5" white flowers& smelled wonderful!! [kitty] [/QB][/QUOTE]

Yep mine too that why I grow them them every year, But this year I will do what Weezie said and try my best to get the seedpods!! [clappy] [flower]

-
 -
by pagarden on March 16, 2006 09:38 AM
my mom had some growing on her arbor and they never died. of course she lives in south florida where there's almost never any chance of frost so that could be why. and she just let them go to seed and fall and they just kept growing and growing. or maybe it just seemed like they never died because there were always new plants at different stages year round. either way it was beautiful and shady and smelled awesome!
by angelblossom on March 16, 2006 10:30 AM
quote:
Originally posted by pagarden:
my mom had some growing on her arbor and they never died. of course she lives in south florida ....it was beautiful and shady and smelled awesome!
Wow I Bet it had a lot to do with living in S Florida That would be awsome sitting out there in the evening with the aroma of moonflowers surrounding you! [Cool]

-
 -
by TheGardenerGuy on March 16, 2006 10:41 AM
We have had them grow in the cracks of our driveway and the one plant was over 6 ft. across in size and smelled sooo good at nite!
Greg [Smile]

-  -
In the midst of the storm..I find the greatest Peace. I don't know what tomorrow holds..but i know Who holds tomorrow. [angel]
by patches1414 on March 16, 2006 03:24 PM
I've never had the moonflowers come back, so I have to plant them every year, but maybe I've pulled them up when I was weeding without knowing it. [tears] It's always nice being outside at night because they smell SO sweet. I love them! [Love]

patches [kitty]

-
 -
"Lord, I love you and I need you, come into my heart, and bless me, my family, my home, and my friends, in Jesus' name. Amen!"
by weezie13 on March 16, 2006 08:50 PM
Patches,
They definately would be only an annual up here..
And only under the right circumstances(micro climate), IMHO, would the seed over winter outside for your growing zone..
*Moonflowers are a tender perennial for zones' 9~10*

Weezie

-
 -
 -

by pagarden on March 16, 2006 09:38 PM
*Moonflowers are a tender perennial for zones' 9~10*

yea- that would explain it- my mom is 10b. i sure do miss some of things that would grow there- but i'm also happy to have things here that i couldn't have there. a double edged sword i suppose.....
by buzylady on March 17, 2006 03:09 AM
I also grew Moon Flowers last year. I did save some of the seeds. They are huge. I bought last years as a plant. So I have'nt seen a seed till a picked them. Some are white and some have have turned a dirty white. I wonder if they are no good? They are also very hard. They must need soaked over nite.

buzz buzz buzz  -
 -
http://s86.photobucket.com/albums/k103/Di_06/

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: moon flowers| Next thread: moonflower »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: