The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Young Aloe Vera Plant...

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2005
« Prev thread: You asked for it: Tomato Recipes!| Next thread: Young Oak Tree »
Back to Thread index
by Jillian on June 04, 2005 07:03 PM
Hello [Smile] New member, here. My name is Jillian, and it's nice to meet you. It was suggested that I bring this question to the House Plants forum...

I have a young aloe vera plant that I purchased a week ago from a Lowe's store. It's about 5"-6" tall and it was in a teeny pot, very root bound and dry when I bought it. My daughter & I transplanted it into a larger pot (4") the day after it was purchased and watered it just a little bit.

The other day I noticed that one of the bottom leaves was turning a lighter shade of green; it is limp, loose, and beginning to turn a more sickly shade of green. This leaf is the only one that has a cut from the tip, (it was like that when we bought it). I keep the plant in a high-light area of my house - near the patio door - where it receives direct morning sun, and then for the rest of the day it's in bright, indirect, natural light.

My question (finally) is, do I pull this sickly leaf off? I don't know if it's causing harm to the rest of the plant. Do I cut it off or just pull it off - it's so loose - but I don't want to cause trauma to it.

Thanks so much for any help you can give to me [Smile] I look forward to hearing from you.

- Jillian [flower]

Who plants a seed beneath the sod and waits to see believes in God...
by Will Creed on June 04, 2005 08:03 PM
Hi Jillian,

One damaged leaf is not a cause for concern. If your Aloe will look better without the leaf, then cut it off where it attaches to the rest of the plant. Otherwise, you can leave it on without harm to the plant. It probably will gradually deteriorate on its own and not recover.
by Jillian on June 05, 2005 04:13 PM
Hi Will,

Thanks so much for that advice. I think I will go ahead and leave it alone and see what happens. I don't think the leaf is going to make it by itself, but if it doesn't then I'll just remove it.

Thank you again [Smile]
- Jillian

by Nako on June 07, 2005 05:00 AM
You can give it a tug too. All my bottom leaves that fall off come off quite easily if they're soft and floppy like what you're describing with yours. So ya, if you don't feel like taking scissors to it, you can do that ^.^

~Phoebe

Nako's Webshots!
 -
 -
by Jillian on June 07, 2005 02:12 PM
Hi Phoebe [Smile] Yep, I got brave this morning (finally) and pulled it off. The rest of the plant is looking terrific and the soil is as dry as can be. I'm going to look into getting a soil probe, as mentioned by another member because, man, I need all the assistance I can get! [Smile]

Thanks much for your advice; it is good to meet you!

- Jillian

by Will Creed on June 08, 2005 05:10 AM
Hi Jillian,

If the probe you referred to is a moisture meter, I strongly advise against it. They are notoriously inaccurate. If the probe is a Soil Sleuth, then I do recommend it.
by Jillian on June 08, 2005 03:52 PM
Hi Will,

From what I can recall, the probe that my brother used too many years ago to mention was a moisture meter. Where can I find a Soil Sleuth? I have never heard of it; how does it work?

Thanks for your help. [Smile]

-Jillian

by Will Creed on June 09, 2005 04:24 AM
Hi Jillian,

Go to http://soilsleuth.com/. It has all the information you need and you can order it from that site.

It is a way of retrieving bits of soil from various depths in the pot to determine just how moist it is. This is particularly effective with larger plants and those with compacted soil where it is hard to poke your finger in very far. It also saves nice fingernails!

I have three basic tools when I work professionally - pruning scissors, a feather duster, and a soil sleuth.
by Cricket on June 09, 2005 04:29 AM
quote:
a feather duster, and a soil sleuth
Will, you have a dream job! [grin]
by Will Creed on June 09, 2005 05:09 AM
You're right, Cricket. I do.
by Cricket on June 09, 2005 08:45 AM
Will, the soil sleuth is a great idea! Thanks for posting the link.

How does the soil sleuth hold up to frequent use?
by Will Creed on June 10, 2005 03:09 AM
Hi Cricket,

The soil sleuth is made of rigid plastic and is nearly indestructible. I have misplaced mine once or twice, but I have never had to replace it for reasons of overuse.

Will
by newlife on June 10, 2005 02:53 PM
Is it alright to use a plant food on an Aloe? I have those little Miracle grow plant food sticks that go right into to the soil. Do you think they are ok to use or should I just let it be.
by tkhooper on June 10, 2005 05:36 PM
When they are not dormant it's ok. I've heard those plant sticks cause hot spots though. So I'm not sure about those.

-
 -

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: You asked for it: Tomato Recipes!| Next thread: Young Oak Tree »
Back to Thread index