The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Help w/ 29-year-old jade

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2004
« Prev thread: Help tomatos!!!| Next thread: Help w/ dry fruit »
Back to Thread index
by CluelessJadeOwner on September 08, 2004 04:54 AM
Hi! I inherited a 29-year-old jade plant from my parents several months ago, and I'm terrified that I'm killing it. Without realizing that the plant could go for a month without water, I was steadily adding a quart every week, until I did my homework and realized I was drowning it. :-/ An entire branch has rotted through (see moldy trunk in pic), which I recently cut off. It's steadily dropping leaves, which seem to crystalize. The good news is that I've drilled a hole in the bottom of the pot and haven't added water for over a month. The plant is also budding new leaves. I've added two grow lights because I don't get much summer sun in my apartment. I clearly need some advice, and any and all is appreciated! Should I re-pot, with dry soil to "start over"? Any other suggestions? Thanks!

-  -  -  -
by mich168 on September 08, 2004 07:07 AM
If it's growing new leaves, then you are on the right track. Keep cutting the rotton stuff off, use a stake or something to test the dirt for wetness, all the way down in the pot. You can get water meters, but the cheap method works pretty well.

-
 -

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Help tomatos!!!| Next thread: Help w/ dry fruit »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: