The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Attack of the pansies

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
by robdds on March 04, 2006 12:24 PM
My pansies have seemed to taken a liking to some type of pest that is very small, almost like a mite. It is small, white or transparent and about 1/2mm long and many of them. They are eating my flowers and seem to leave a sticky residue on the leaves. Should I try spraying my pansies with a organic pesticide spray I have or just soapy water? Thanks!!!
by MissJamie on March 04, 2006 12:58 PM
could it be whitefly? [dunno]

-
 -
*~*Last night I played a blank tape at full blast. The mime next door went nuts.
*~* http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=2125497034
by MissJamie on March 04, 2006 01:01 PM
oh and welcome to the garden helper! you'll love it here...there's lot's of friendly people,lot's of info to learn and lot's of friends to be made!

-
 -
*~*Last night I played a blank tape at full blast. The mime next door went nuts.
*~* http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=2125497034
by robdds on March 05, 2006 01:58 AM
That looks similar, but not sure. I will take another look at the vermin. Thanks for the warm welcome!!!
by weezie13 on March 06, 2006 04:41 AM
More than like Aphids..
They love pansies..
How has your weather been??
Wierd and warm???

I had some in my greenhouse last fall, and it was so warm in the greenhouse and they were covered..
Pansy's like it cooler and cause it was so warm it was sending out signals to the buggies, I'm putting on fresh new green growth and I'm not happy in my planting area.. and the bugs come..

Here's some assorted pictures of some..... Anything match up????

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/
by robdds on March 07, 2006 02:06 AM
Yes, our winter has been very mild in NC. Especially lately and that was when the bugs showed up. Should I spray the pansies with a pesticide or does anybody have any good, safe suggestions. Thanks so much!!!
by weezie13 on March 07, 2006 05:28 AM
The only thing I can suggest is....
**Cause I'm an Organic gardener is...
Squishin' them...and then blasting them with some water..usually the soft bodied things get hurt/harmed by the water blast and can't get back up to the plant...

Or the other Organic way is Lady Bug Babies....
they love eating aphids...*You can get those thru a mail order catalog if you like.. I have mine here naturally, by not using any pestisides, and I know what the babies look like and don't harm them.. (I will see if our BUGLADY has a picture for you of a baby lady bug.. and if she knows where you can order any, if you need any ideas on where to get them.. )

But the under lying problem is their,
growing habits...of some sorts....

*have you fertilzed them or anything?
Are they in a dirt/soil that has fertilizers in it already???

What happens is.. when a plant attracks aphids' is that there is something wrong in their growing conditions, and more than likely they are growing, weak, and sending new, green growth up/out...and because somethings' wrong, they are emmitting a signal/scent/something that is signaling the aphids that they aren't happy and they are becoming weak or compromised.. and that's when the bugs come in and say, "DINNER"!!!

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/
by Buglady on March 07, 2006 09:42 AM
weezie.. weezie... weezie...

buying ladybugs is a bad bad thing. you should know that by now....

for the pest.. its either whitefly or aphids... they both get on pansies and excrete honeydew. you could try Flower Pharm, its an organic insecticides.

-
 -
The Buglady
Suzanne Wainwright-Evans, www.bugladyconsulting.com
Educating the world... one bug at a time

Active Garden Forum