The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

purple Hyacinth beans

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: Purple Hyacinth Beans| Next thread: Purple Leaf Plum »
Back to Thread index
by 4Ruddy on February 27, 2006 01:15 PM
I need some info on what to do with these seeds I have started...they are going wild. Is this a vining flower? And..are the fragrant...anything like hyacinths...I don't have a clue..I need help...

Thanks
~V~

-
 -

Happiness, like a dessert so sweet.
May life give you more than you can ever eat...
by obywan59 on February 27, 2006 02:52 PM
Oh yeah!!! They are major vining. I don't think they are fragrant. They are grown mainly for the lavendar flowers and the purple pods. Very ornamental.

I made a teepee out of 3 bamboo stakes in my mandevilla pot for the vines to twine around till I could get it outside. I'm probably going to have to cut it back though before it's warm enough. Good luck Vanessa, the hyacinth bean is WAY more vigorous than mandevilla.

-
Terry

May the force be with you
by 4Ruddy on February 27, 2006 02:56 PM
Thanks Oby....I have never had any of the beans before and got a bunch of seed packets of them...they are already about 6 inches high and trying to escape.... [Big Grin]

~V~

-
 -

by 4Ruddy on February 27, 2006 02:57 PM
I would love to see a pic if anyone has one....just so I have a better idea....

~V~

-
 -

by obywan59 on February 27, 2006 03:34 PM
Here's a page with a picture of a hyacinth bean on a trellis. The picture's not that great, but you can get an idea of how big they can get. One source said possibly to 20 feet!

hyacinth bean on arbor

Scroll down to the 3rd to the last picture.

Here's another picture that shows a closeup of the pods and a few flowers. This one has better color.

-
Terry

May the force be with you
by 4Ruddy on February 27, 2006 05:19 PM
I can see the pic of the pods but the one of the vine on the arbor doesn't come through...those are some pretty purple beans for sure...I need to decide where to put them...

thanks again Obywan....

~V~

-
 -

by tkhooper on February 27, 2006 09:56 PM
I'm waiting to start mine. I don't know what I would do with a vine in the house. But I'm sure I would figure out something.

-
 -
by 4Ruddy on February 27, 2006 10:01 PM
They are pretty aren't the TK...but it sounds like they get really big...might be too much for the inside. These seeds I started are growing a bunch every day!

~V~

-
 -

by loz on February 27, 2006 10:21 PM
V, here are a couple of my pictures from a few years ago....I really loved them along my chain link fence...when the wind would blow it looked so pretty swaying around. In the bottom pic you can see my parents house in the background....be careful transplanting them, they don't like to be moved too much.

-
 -
by tkhooper on February 27, 2006 11:09 PM
The major problem being that they are a tropical right? So if you can't bring them in or protect them you loose them over the winter. I hope I have that information right.

That stem looks thicker than I would have imagined. One I know I plan to give away to a young man in our church who has expressed an interest. And I think I'll put one in a container just for the summer. Hopefully I can harvest enough seeds from it to grow another one next year. They are just to pretty to pass up.

-
 -
by njoynit on February 28, 2006 02:48 AM
you'd save the seeds for the following year.
they do have a slight fragrance,but is early in the morning& I don't notice it all the time.
It also comes in white& pink.
Here is a picture of the pink(Its leaves are solid green& are a lighter green coloring)

http://us.a1.yahoofs.com/users/41ddbf7dz6cf176da/9c8f/__sr_/ddc8.jpg?phQk0AEBVUwr9HzK

My purple was a flop.It MAY have still flowered if Rita had not ripped it to shreds.Out of 5 seeds from the year before I do have 1 lone seedling growing.Its in a brug baby pot.

-
 -
I will age ungracefully until I become an old woman in a small garden..doing whatever the Hell I want!

http://community.webshots.com/user/njoynit03
http://community.webshots.com/user/njoynit
http://photos.yahoo.com/njoynit03

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Purple Hyacinth Beans| Next thread: Purple Leaf Plum »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: