The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

milkweed

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: mildews or mealy bugs ?| Next thread: MILKY SPORE --Grub control? »
Back to Thread index
by ElzbthMomma on February 26, 2006 03:50 AM
my sister-in-law found a chrysilis on her porch and we think it belonged to a monarch but i'm not sure if there's any milkweed near her house so we're not sure if it is or isn't a monarch. was wondering if someone had any pics of a common milkweed that would grow wild in northwestern arkasas so we could identify. thanks a bunch!!
by peppereater on February 26, 2006 08:14 AM
I don't have any milkweed pics, but Google has a feature called image search...it's at the top of the search page. Try googling both "milkweed" and Monarch chryssalis (I'm not sure of the spelling!!!!) and see what comes up. Then let us know what you found!
By the way , welcome to the forum. You might also post this question in Butterflies and Birds. I'm a fellow Okie, by the way!

-
Dave
Even my growlights are getting restless!
by ShirlS on March 01, 2006 12:14 AM
I used to hatch monarch's for my kids when they were small. We would get the catapillars, and watch them go through the cycle of transformation. It was a wonderful way to explain death to them, also ( the change from this body out). Here is a link to the crysalis of a monarch. It is transparent, as the change takes place inside, the color changes on the outside. Green is the catapillar, then it turns black and orange, which is the butterfly forming.

Monarch Crysalis

Milkweed pic

-
Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: mildews or mealy bugs ?| Next thread: MILKY SPORE --Grub control? »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: