The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Easter Cactus Puzzle

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2004
« Prev thread: Easter Bloom on cactus| Next thread: Easter Chicks »
Back to Thread index
by panther44 on August 17, 2004 06:52 PM
Hi,

I was wondering if anyone could help me with a puzzle? I have an Easter Cactus (Rhipsalidopsis gaertneri) as pictured in the link below:

Picture of Easter Cactus

I have had the plant for some 15 years now and it flowers once a year. After its most recent flowering however, something odd occured. At the end of the main stem (where flowers usually appear) a different kind of cactus seems to have "sprouted". (there is only one of these growths all other new leaves are as normal)

This new "growth" is nothing like the rest of the plant, it is similar to the plant pictured in the link below:

Picture of cactus similar to "growth"

The fourth picture (second down on the right).

However, the "growth" is only small at the present time and only has four "edges" rather than the six in the link above, it also has spines on each edge similar to that of other cacti.

I have two or three of these plants and this has not occured in any of the others.

I was just wondering, could anyone please throw any light on this mystery?

I would be thankful for any information I receive.

TIA!

Panther44
by panther44 on August 26, 2004 05:49 AM
Hi,

Hmmm, it would seem by the number of replies I've received that this is more of a mystery than I first thought!

Very odd, it could be a first! [Wink]

Panther44

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Easter Bloom on cactus| Next thread: Easter Chicks »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: