The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

New Seeds! Need Advice!

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2004
« Prev thread: New Sago Palm| Next thread: New Shaded Perennial Plantings »
Back to Thread index
by The Prynce on March 10, 2004 11:41 AM
Well, I've been gone from here for a while but its Spring so I'm totally back! This will be my first year cultivating an actual garden. I'm not yet sure where I'm going to place it, but I hope to have some ideas after this post!

I recently got some seeds and I need to get some advice on when, where, and how to plant them and if I should plant them in soil, potting soil, or a mixture, etc.
The seeds are Sweet Basil, Morning Glories, Parsley, Forget-Me-Nots, and Dill.
Any information on these would be adored! I'm in the NE of SC and its been warm lately and everything's blooming now so I'm anxious to get these things into the ground!

Thanks in advance!

-=The Prynce
by plants 'n pots on March 10, 2004 02:53 PM
Hi Prynce - nice to know ya!

The only seeds on your list that I have grown so far are the forget-me-nots. Mine grow in shade to part shade and are among the first cheerful flowers to bloom after frost is done.

But beware... the tiny seeds like to spread all over the world, so plant them where you would like to have them spread. The baby plants are easy to identify and pull out if you need to. I have done this and transplanted them or shared with friends successfully.

I wouldn't be without them!

-
 -
 - Lynne's knitting journal  -  -  -
"I'm spayed, declawed, and housebound - how's YOUR day going???"
by weezie13 on March 10, 2004 03:39 PM
Hi PRYNCE!! [wayey] [wayey]
How ya been??

I'm with Lynne on the seed starting end of it,
but the forget~me~nots are great filler in a tulip bed or something, once you have them, they won't be going anywhere's away too soon, they re~seed prolifically!!! But that's good in a bulb bed...
They do tend to get a little straggly after the end of sping/beginning of summer, just give them either a good hair cut or pull out the big plants and the seeds will re~seed... *when you pull the plants out, just the action of pulling the plant out disperses the seeds about..)
Watch them as they grow, they will flower for a bit, get tall, and the last few flowers will be on top, seeds in the middle of the stem as it goes up...
I love them, I have purple, white, blue and pink ones!!

And I do know for the Morning Glories, you MUST HAVE WARM SOIL for them to germenate, I know if I put them out tooooooooooo early up here, they dont' grow, until I re~seed again later!
Mistake I made one year...
Some varieties may re~seed themselves, I had mine re~seed at the base of my house several yrs in a row. The purple/pink ones.. (not sure of the name)

Rick might be through with some pointers on herbs growing for you, he has a wealth of knowledge with them...

Weezie

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/
by shamarian on March 10, 2004 04:06 PM
welcome back then Prynce. I've grown all except the Parsley from seed [usually just buy one plant].I usually start my Basil indoors to get it going sooner, do you have a good sunny window and some soiless potting mix?
I'm from zone 4 tho and we have a short season and so maybe starting all of them outside would'nt be a problem. Dill grows real easy here from seed and usually reseeds itself for the next year but I like some early too and start them indoors.I planted Forget me nots [very cute plant] from seed and put them in my rock garden but like the others said, it really spreads and am always pulling and thinning them out.But I for sure wanted to tell you to nick those morning glory seeds or you will be waiting a long time. If your not familiar with that, it just involves just scraping or fileing some of that hard shell off and then after its warm enough to plant, soak the seeds overnight in water the night before and then plant and there's hardly any waiting, they will be up in no time.Good Luck, [Wink]

I am old, and repotting wont help!
by weezie13 on March 10, 2004 04:23 PM
Shamarion,
You know what I did??
I have a item I got from *oh, here I go again*
Spray~n~Grow from QVC, it's a macronutrient,
not a fertilizer, you spray on your plants, I really liked it, I'm poor this year, I may only buy a tiny bit this year, butttttttt)
I soaked mine it that solution over night!!!!
And then spread them out on the ground!
Although I do have to say, I have alot better luck with mine when they reseed themselves around the base of my house?

But the nicking is good to do!!! [thumb] [thumb] [thumb]

Weezie

Weezie

-
 -
 -

by shamarian on March 11, 2004 09:09 AM
Weezie,I have never heard of a macronutrient before so I looked it up in the dictionary "a chemical nutrient required in large amounts for plant growth and vitality" and that info did'nt
help me much so tell me more about it, does it take the place of nicking or fileing? I have really loved watching QVC by the way. I know they had the gardens again last thursday and friday but I was not home for any of it [Razz] kinda addicting I'm finding, oh oh! [grin]

by Rick on March 11, 2004 10:32 AM
Prynce,
The process shamarian is describing is called scarification. Its purpose is to penetrate a hard seed coat that is very slow to take in moisture. Just be careful not to go deeper than the seed coat itself or you can damage the seeds embryo. Both Morning Glories and Basil require warm soil to germinate, Basil especially so. Neither will take frost, so if you are not into your frost free season yet, don't plant them outside now. Basil does transplant easily.
Dill and Parsley are both very hardy and can be planted now. Parsley can be very slow to germinate, especially in cool soil. It takes about 2 weeks to sprout in warm soil and can take over a month in cold soil, but will grow if the soil isn't allowed to crust over. Dill is an annual. It matures easily almost anywhere. Parsley is biennial, not producing seeds til the end of the second summer. Parsley is not a large plant during its first year. It will get taller when it flowers the second year. I usually leave a few plants in the soil overwinter to bloom and make seed the second year. It's a good plant to let volunteer around the garden as it doesn't grow fast enough to be a problem. The flowers of both Parsley and Dill attract a lot of predatory wasps and other pollinators. I try to plant cabbage products near parsley that's going to bloom just to have the wasps near the cabbage worms. They do make a difference. I was harvesting broccoli one time that was growing by blooming parsnips (same family of plants). Just after I cut a large head and stood up, a large yellow jacket landed on the head just above my hand. As I waited to see if it would just leave, it moved up to the broccoli head, located a cabbage worm, and proceeded to repeatedly bite it until it let go of the plant. After this, it carried it away. The whole process took several minutes and was something to watch. Seeing this made me rethink some of my bed layouts to take advantage of this. Even if not harvested, both of these plants and many others are worth growing for this reason alone.
Rick
by shamarian on March 12, 2004 08:59 AM
Weezie or Rick, will you please tell me what a macronutrient is or does??

by The Prynce on March 12, 2004 11:59 AM
Thanks to all of you for all the info!

I'm soooo ready to get to gardening this spring! My mom's big beautiful weeping willow is sprouting its leaves now and it's going to be AMAZING again this year! Our baby's breath is blooming now, too. I'm just ready for the mimosa to start! I love mimosa! I love the leaves and those little pink fuzz ball of flowers they have in the Spring. They're the best... Anyone want any seeds? I have plenty somewhere around here!

I think I'll only start the dill and parsley now just to be safe and start the others in a few weeks.

Do dill and parsley handling being transplanted well? I will probably be starting them in pots or cups with potting soil and leaving them outside during the day and retrieving them at night. After they've started to grow and are looking healthy, I'll probably move them to the ground outside.

Is there anything wrong with that? I'm so new to actually planting seeds and all that so I need help. lol. I have 5 lovely beasts of dogs outside that just love to dig and chew stuff up so I want the plants to be pretty strong before they'll have a chance to bother them at all. Hopefully they'll leave 'em alone anyway. :-P

I'm really anxious to get these forget-me-nots into the ground! They look like beautiful flowers! Not to say morning glories don't, but I've had plenty of those growing wild so I'm used to 'em! lol

Anywho, thanks for all the help anyone. Feel free to throw more at me!

-=The Prynce
by Ldymac on March 24, 2004 06:22 AM
All herbs enjoy a well draining soil to grow in...as well as lots of sun.. direct seeding is best. Do NOT fertilize herbs....they thrive best without this luxury. If you doubt me, search for their origins, and you will see that most originate from poor and barren areas. As for Morning Glory...I would suggest you soak the seeds overnight in a bowl of tepid water...to aid in rehydrating them first. They also do best with some ammendments (compost) in the soil.
I hoped I have helped you

-
Remember to be kind to Mother Nature, afterall, she WAS here first!
by Phil and Laura on March 24, 2004 04:20 PM
Hey Neighbor, I'll help Ya, macronutrients are the elements used in large amounts by our Plants(nitrogen, phosphorus,potassium,) NPK...
Micronutrients are used in smaller quantities, such as boron, copper, etc. [grin] [teacher] [Big Grin]
by weezie13 on March 25, 2004 03:46 AM
Shamarion,
I am so sorry, I couldn't remember where I was when I was talking about this...
I gotta stop doing this, I never should get side tracked about stuff, the post starts off on one
thing, we all get to yakking and it's something else...

So, how's those zucchini's????

Ha [Big Grin] Ha [Big Grin] Ha! [Big Grin]
Just Kidding! [Smile]

quote:

The American HeritageŽ Dictionary of the English Language: Fourth Edition. 2000.

Macronutrient;

SYLLABICATION: macˇroˇnuˇtriˇent
NOUN: An element, such as carbon, hydrogen, oxygen, or nitrogen, required in large proportion for the normal growth and development of a plant.

Minerals for Plants

I did see a difference!!
I liked it, the only thing that I didn't like was it's applicant.... I have a ba~zillion plants, and I was there all day, sprayin' those plants!! ALL DAY!!!!!!!!!!!!
I need to buy one of those back pack sprayers for efficiency!! One bottle at a time was way outta control... for me, I'm way too busy for one bottle at a time..

But I liked the results!!
Just gave my plants an extra boost..
I might try the "Root Blast" the next time??
Depends on the $$$

Weezie
Sorry I misplaced where I was!! [Embarrassed] [Roll Eyes]

Weezie

-
 -
 -

by shamarian on March 25, 2004 04:11 AM
[Big Grin] Weezie, I waited so long for someone to answer me that I eventually forgot I asked [Big Grin] [Big Grin]
So does it do kinda the same thing as that shamed imitation Miracle Grow does?

by weezie13 on March 25, 2004 04:46 AM
Shamarion,
Miracle grow, I believe, has higher of the
regular one's, NPK, (Nitrogen, Phosphorus, Potash) (*Specifically for growth and flowering and fruit production..)
These are usually supplied in potting soils nowadays with it's added nutrients to the soil.
But the macronutrients are some that may not be found in the soil or the plants present growing conditions.

Just an added boost!!! So they don't struggle...

I wouldn't say, absolutely manditory though...... [Wink]

Weezie

Weezie

-
 -
 -

by Phil and Laura on March 25, 2004 04:12 PM
Here is some stuff I use, on everything, but mainly the PUMPKINS, It has all kinda goodies in it! MAGIC POTION

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: New Sago Palm| Next thread: New Shaded Perennial Plantings »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: