The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Starting new lawn on pitched ground.

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: Starting new grafts?| Next thread: starting peonies »
Back to Thread index
by Willowbug on September 17, 2006 09:34 PM
We have been trying without success to start a new lawn. Our back yard is pitched just so much that when it rains or we even water the seed drains to the bottom of the yard. It looks great where the drainage ditch is, very full and green. We have tried placing hay over the seed, but it also floats down. We have dug up the ground, placed seed and covered it over with more dirt and it all (seed, dirt, hay) just runs down the back. We have tried to seed it 4 times so far and hope we will only have to do it once more. Any ideas?
by patches1414 on September 18, 2006 05:34 PM
Willowbug, I had exactly the same problem [Eek!] until I tried the Seed Germination Blanket. [Wink] It is designed to help to control soil erosion and it also kept the birds from eating my grass seed. [clappy] It's made by Du Pont and it is biodegradable. I think I got it at Lowe's or Home Depot, but I'm not really sure because it's been a few years ago. [dunno]

-
 -
"Lord, I love you and I need you, come into my heart, and bless me, my family, my home, and my friends, in Jesus' name. Amen!"
by Willowbug on September 18, 2006 08:13 PM
Thanks I'll check into it.
by Willowbug on September 18, 2006 09:54 PM
I found it but not sure if it will still be available as it's so late in the season. I will have to check. I found it on the Lowes website if anyone else is interested.
by myndful on September 20, 2006 01:13 AM
We saw an all-in-one grass starter at Home Depot last week. It's a fiber cloth-type thing with seed and fertilizer in between the layers. Apparently, the blanket-thing dissolves after the grass starts...

We had a problem with seed washing away as well. Did some research and found that sod will cost almost the same as all the seed, fertilizer and stuff.

http://myndfulmeanderings.blogspot.com

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Starting new grafts?| Next thread: starting peonies »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: