The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Help with a Sheffeleria

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2004
« Prev thread: help with a palm (and others)| Next thread: Help with ajuga plants »
Back to Thread index
by amythepoet on July 24, 2004 11:40 PM
Hi,

Hello from Boston, home of the democrative convention! I just bought a new sheffeleria, not quite sure on the spelling, and anyway, it started dropping leaves today! I have it placed near a southern window, should I move it? It was just repotted as the pot in the store was too small, help, what do I do!

Thanks so much,

Amy

Amy Gumley
Poems To Go
http://www.Poemstogo.tv
Creating beautiful poems for life's special occasions.
by catlover on July 24, 2004 11:58 PM
Hi Amy and welcome aboard...moving your question to the houseplant forum where it will hopefully get answered sooner. [thumb]
[kitty] [wayey]

-
 -
 -
by TomR on July 25, 2004 04:25 AM
quote:
Originally posted by amythepoet:
Hi,

Hello from Boston, home of the democrative convention! I just bought a new sheffeleria, not quite sure on the spelling, and anyway, it started dropping leaves today! I have it placed near a southern window, should I move it? It was just repotted as the pot in the store was too small, help, what do I do!

Thanks so much,

Well repotting it so soon may have caused it to drop leaves. This is a medium light plant so give it bright light but no sun. Let the soil dry out between waterings. Don't feed it for about a month.

Tom

Amy

My memory's not as sharp as it used to be. Also, my memory's not as sharp as it used to be.
by calzgal on July 28, 2004 01:38 AM
Hi Amy!

The Sheffeleria require bright indirect light (at least 1000 lumens). It prefers warm ambiant temps no less than 15°C, try to avoid positions where temperatures will regularly rise above 25°C it stresses the plant. Window locations should always be at least 12 inches away from the glass, and remember although it gets warm by the window, the glass itself cuts the UV rays that the plant uses for energy.

Due to the minimum temperature requirement of this tree it is grown indoors through most of the year though during periods of warm days and nights at the height of summer it is preferable to place outside in a shady place.

Shefferleria need high humidity, mist leaves daily and use a humidity tray. Water liberally from Spring to Autumn but sparingly in Winter. (moist but not WET soil..as Tom mentioned)

Scale insects and mealybugs may be a problem indoors.

Leaf drop is not necessarily a problem, but a natural occurance to stressors (repotting, new soil, new location, transportation).

Rule 1: Never panic. Continue normal care until you can pinpoint the cause (I think it's the repotting and bringing home).

Hope this helps!

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: help with a palm (and others)| Next thread: Help with ajuga plants »
Back to Thread index