The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Sandspurs

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: sandburs| Next thread: sandspurs »
Back to Thread index
by Tonya on May 24, 2006 06:17 AM
I am new to the whole "lawncare" thing...my hubby usually does it all. However, I am now a stat-at-home mom and am trying to also help out. How do I get rid of these crazy sandspurs? [Mad] My neighbor said she had to litterally pull up and throw away each and everyone...please tell me there is another way [scaredy] ! I would hate to have to do the entire half acre like that! I already have blisters and haven't even gotten 20 feet! [Mad]

-
 -
 - Bote and Babe's World
by The Plant Doc on May 25, 2006 01:17 AM
This says it all [Smile]

http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/plantanswers/turf/grassbur.html

-
Mike Maier
aka
The Plant Doc
by Patty S on May 25, 2006 12:07 PM
Thanks for the link, Mike! I didn't know what sandspurs (or sandburs) were until I read that article, & I don't think we have that kind of thing here. (Doesn't sound like something I WANT, either!) [shocked]

There's something that I didn't catch in that article that I'm wondering about... (Maybe the answer IS there & I just didn't read carefully enough.) Wouldn't pre-emergent herbicide also kill off lawn seeds & established grasses? I know that Weed N Feed doesn't kill off some types of weeds... I wonder if those bur weeds are one of them. [dunno]

-
 -
by The Plant Doc on May 26, 2006 01:29 AM
Wouldn't pre-emergent herbicide also kill off lawn seeds & established grasses?

Yes it would kill off the lawn grass seeds as well, but it should not touch the existing established grass.
Your normal weed and feed type product is usually made with 2.4.-d. If used correctly, it is great for dandies,plantain and clover, but I seriously doubt it will touch sand burs.

-
Mike Maier
aka
The Plant Doc
by Tonya on May 26, 2006 07:27 AM
Thank you so much for the link! We live in SE north Carolina and they are HORRIBLE here! [Eek!] [Mad] I will pull as I have time and get the jump on the new ones with the herbicides! Thanks again Mike!! [kissies]

-
 -
 - Bote and Babe's World

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: sandburs| Next thread: sandspurs »
Back to Thread index