The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Using 2 4 D???

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: Uses For Old Dead Pine| Next thread: Using an Aquarium for Plants »
Back to Thread index
by firsttimer on May 17, 2006 07:30 AM
We want to kill dandelions, but nothing else? Can we use this? Apparantly it works on the farm, but not in town.

**Every woman needs a man with a will of his own--made out in her name!** Zone 4b

-
by johnCT on May 17, 2006 07:42 AM
Hi firsttimer, I replied to your other thread. 2,4-D will work fine for dandelions if that is your only weed problem.

John - Zone 6
by firsttimer on May 17, 2006 08:28 AM
thank you! I couldn't remember where I put it! [Big Grin] So it won't kill the flowers in my yard?

**Every woman needs a man with a will of his own--made out in her name!** Zone 4b

-
by The Plant Doc on May 17, 2006 08:59 AM
2-4-D will kill just about any broad leaf plant. It is a broad spectrum herbicide that is made to be used over lawns, with out hurting the grasses.
As far as I know there is nothing out there that singles out dandelions, without hurting other plants.
2-4-D is a contact killer so as long as it does not touch the leaves of the flowers they should be safe. I don't know if that is possible in your situation though.

-
Mike Maier
aka
The Plant Doc
by firsttimer on May 17, 2006 09:10 AM
I have flowers in two rock gardens and a vegetable garden, so maybe if we're careful, we can not kill everything.

-
by The Plant Doc on May 17, 2006 10:20 AM
First timer

If you could get away without hitting your flowers, that would be great, but I don't think I would want to use a weed killer in my vegetable garden. Even though it does not act systemically I would be afraid of some sort of absorption into the fruit. About the best thing for a veggie garden is pulling the weeds by hand then laying some sort of mulch or landscape fabric down to keep them from coming back again.

-
Mike Maier
aka
The Plant Doc
by johnCT on May 18, 2006 02:53 AM
Keep it away from any flowers you don't want to lose. Read the label of the product.

John - Zone 6

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Uses For Old Dead Pine| Next thread: Using an Aquarium for Plants »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: