The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

not-so-lucky Bamboo!

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2004
by magic612 on July 19, 2004 10:51 PM
My Lucky bamboo appears to be rotting!! I have 2 pieces, one seems fine, but the other one started turning yellow. I just noticed today that it is actually turning black in some spots.
I have them in a marble tray, and I change the water monthly.

Do they like a lot of light??

Any suggestions would be great!
by Cricket on July 20, 2004 01:20 AM
Hi,

I planted my lucky bamboos in potting soil where they seem to be much happier. They do like lots of light but seem to burn with too much direct sunlight. When one of mine began to turn yellow, I finally cut off (with a very sharp, clean knife!) the portion of the stalk which was yellow and that seemed to halt the problem. I still occasionally get a yellow leaf on a couple of my bamboos and I am uncertain if it is due to over or under watering, but generally they are all in good health.

When I planted them in pots, I experimented at first with multiple plants in the same pot; however, they didn't flourish so each obtained its own pot arranged in groupings for a more attractive display (they also seem to do better in my home when they have "company"). I am considering repotting them in groupings again in one large pot or perhaps trying them outside in the garden. Does anyone know if they would succeed outside in zone 8?

Good luck with your lucky bamboo - hopefully you can restore it to good health.
by Cricket on July 20, 2004 01:23 AM
Forgot to ask you - how long have they been in water? The reason I potted mine originally is because after several months in water, they weren't doing as well as when I initially bought them and I wondered if perhaps they weren't obtaining sufficient nutrients solely from water. I'm uncertain if this reasoning was sound but my bamboos have done much better in soil!
by Nako on July 20, 2004 03:49 AM
Mine was started about 3 or 4 years ago. It started about the size of quarter of a pencle when my mom got it. Ever since then, she gave it to me, and it had been in a vase of water. It stayed in that vase of nothing but water till a few months ago, when i decided "hey, i'm gonna fill it with sand, and slow release fertalizer, and then put water in it till the sand doesn't absorb it anymore."

So ya, you can find it in my webshots above my button [Smile]

Nako's Webshots!
 -
 -
by magic612 on July 20, 2004 05:50 AM
I think I might try planting one in soil and see if it does better in that. They are so pretty, I hope I can help it.

When I was at the pet store getting fish today, I noticed a lot of the tanks have bamboo just stuck in there floating along. It actually adds a nice little touch with the aquarium, and was also thinking about trying that.

Do any of you see anything wrong with this? would that be too much water for it?

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: