The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Please Help Ive Killed my yard!!!

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
by JMaldo on May 06, 2006 08:21 AM
Well it started out being a good idea, so I thought.

I used some industrial grass killer in my shrub beds. Well when it rains the water from the beds goes on my lawn. It looks like the week killer is so strong that it runs in my yard and is now killing it!

Does anyone know a way to neutralize grass killer. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

I have Bermuda grass.
by johnCT on May 06, 2006 08:31 AM
Man, o, man. Didn't read the label, did ya?

What kind of herbicide is it? How did you apply it?

John - Zone 6
by JMaldo on May 06, 2006 08:37 AM
Thats the funny thing, I DID read the label. It said it could be used to spay around fence lines, so i figured it would be fine. I spayed it on..As for the name, im at a loss Ill have to back to my office to get it. I was hoping there was a general way to neutralize it. It keeps speading...
by JMaldo on May 06, 2006 08:42 AM
Its supposed to be one that neutralize the soil for the whole season. MY LUCK
by johnCT on May 06, 2006 08:52 AM
Find out what it is and post back. There is really nothing that can be done to "neutralize" an herbicide. I cannot see how it could possibly be herbicide runoff that is killing your turf. Take some pictures and post them if you can.

John - Zone 6
by JMaldo on May 06, 2006 10:33 AM
Here are the pics...HORRIBLE....
http://nextelelite.org/Mistake/

No doubt is it the grass killer i spayed, Its doing in every location i sprayed... [Frown]

This stuff is called Liberator 600, i purchased it from a company called Atco......
by joclyn on May 06, 2006 11:53 AM
oich!! that definitely looks like run off from the bed. just how much did you put there?? seems like it might have been too strong a mix or maybe that stuff is just super powerful!

that's a shame - the lawn looks pretty nice elsewhere!

about all you can do is try to thin out what's in the soil...that means run the hose just at the edge of the grass (at the bed) and let it run for a bit to flush out the chemicals. also, put some kind of barrier up between the bed and the grass.

looks like you're going to have to reseed or get sod.
by The Plant Doc on May 06, 2006 01:09 PM
Sorry about the screw up, but live and learn. [Smile]
The best thing you can do is dig up and replace the soil and replant the lawn.
I wish I had better news for you.

-
Mike Maier
aka
The Plant Doc
by JMaldo on May 06, 2006 02:57 PM
Wonderful. [Frown]

Im just worried its not finished killing my yard yet. Thinking of just finding some turf paint and trying to hid it untill i know all the damage is done. Hopefull the grass will eventually grow back since its only supposed to last a season..
by joclyn on May 07, 2006 05:40 AM
as long as you keep any additional run off from hitting the grass, what you have now should be the extent of the damage.

yes, the grass will eventually grow back...you're going to need to help it along tho otherwise, weeds will set in.

i've never done any seeding so i don't know when is best. and since you've got that treatment on the soil, doing so now probably won't make a bit of difference.

dunno. if you want to do something now, i'd say you'd need to pull up the damaged grass as well as at least a couple of inches of the soil. then put down new soil and seed or sod it.
by peppereater on May 07, 2006 12:38 PM
JMaldo...you have got to find out what herbicide you used.
Do you have bermuda or Augustine? or something else? IF that herbicide leaches away, bermuda will quickly spread back...no expert on Augustine, but I think it's slower to cover. You may have a weed problem in that spot. Don't seed for bermuda. As of a decade ago (that dates me, no?) U3 bermuda was the desired hybrid, and although they sell the seed, it doesn't always come back as true U3. The standard bermuda is coarser and not as green and disease resistant.

-
Dave
Even my growlights are getting restless!
by Longy on May 08, 2006 12:56 AM
Liberator 600 is a pre emergent herbicide from what i can gather. Not much info available. So it'll stop any ungerminated weed seed from growing. That's the point of it. Great stuff they can make these days huh! I'm surprised it killed existing stuff as well. Appears to be a restricted herbicide so i'm surprised you could even get it for a domestic application.

-
The secret is the soil.
by JMaldo on May 08, 2006 10:04 AM
Its bermuda.

One of my vendors gave me a sample of it at work. I was complaining to her about all the weeds i had in my shrub bed.
by Rebecca150 on May 09, 2006 08:37 AM
Here is an idea. Get stepping stones and gravel and make a walking path to wind from the street, around the tree and up in front of the shrubs to your door. Does that make sense? Surrond that pretty little tree with some hostas and caladiums and line that mulched area with a bunch of bulbs. Eventually that is:-) May wanna give that stuff some time to finish "running off".

Or resod. Or be patient and it maybe next season you can seed it or something.

Otherwise just relax! Such is life :-)

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: