The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Merlot Lips

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2004
« Prev thread: Merlin, Weezie and Bill| Next thread: Merme & Maxi's Porch Garden »
Back to Thread index
by zelinda on July 17, 2004 01:35 AM
Hi,
Does anyone have information or links to information about care of orchids? My co-worker inherited a "Merlot Lips" - it is alive, but in bad shape. It has some white things that look like roots growing up and down out of the plant, at the point where it meets the soil. I'd like to save this plant if I can. The soil looks really compacted. The pot is clay and is sitting in a glass bowl full of rocks and water. I don't want to do anything to it until I know the right thing to do.

Appreciate your help! [grin]
by lilitu on July 17, 2004 06:53 AM
I don't suppose you know what kind of orchid it is- cymbidium, phalaenopsis, brassia, dendrobium?

They like humidity- so the most likely reason they are in the bowl on top of rocks and water is becus it helps keep the reas around them humid. Just make sure that the roots are not in direct contact with the water-you don't want the roots to rot. You can also mist the leaves in the morning-but don't mist the blooms or buds. water them thoroughly about every 5 days. Typcially keep them in indirect/filtered light. NO direct sunlight. The root looking things are supposed to be there as that is how the orchids get their water-are they all shrivelly looking and whitish grey/brown, or are they relatively green in most spots?

Sorry for the rambling, i might be able to be more specific if I know what type of orchid it is. you might want to try going to orchids.com and looking at some of the pictures of the kinds of orchids they sell (I swear I'm not promoting for them! [scaredy] ) and then letting us know what it most resembles, that way we can be of more help! [muggs]

good luck!! orchids are great plants and not nearly as difficult to care for as some people expect!!!

lilitu
by lilitu on July 18, 2004 05:33 AM
I think I found what you are looking for!!

http://www.florafest.com.au/OA.Colm.Wild.Mer.Lips.html

I think It's of the Oncidium species. Is yours like the plant that is pictured in the link?

lilitu
by zelinda on July 18, 2004 08:40 AM
Lilitu,
I think this is it! I've actually never seen it bloom, but I do seem to recall from the tag in the pot that it said "Wildcat Merlot Lips". I'll check it when I go back to work on Monday. Thanks for all your help. The other site you mentioned seems to have a LOT of info about care of orchids.

I heard that my co-worker who this orchid belongs to was planning to throw it away. Maybe he'll let me rescue it and keep it at my own desk! He'll be jealous when I nurse it back to health and it blooms. [grin]
by lilitu on July 18, 2004 07:35 PM
Yeah!!!! *does little happy dance* I helped ! I helped!!!! [Big Grin]
I hope you find all the info you're looking for on that site. I know I plan on using it a lot- I'm having trouble with my Brassia...her blooms drop prematurely even though I have moved her toa different spot and done everything else I could think of....
GOOD LUCK TO YOU!!! Orchids are wonderful;)

lilitu

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Merlin, Weezie and Bill| Next thread: Merme & Maxi's Porch Garden »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: