The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Help identifying this weed!! **Link to photos inside**

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: Help identifying pests| Next thread: Help in Starke -- Tomatos etc »
Back to Thread index
by bt3d on April 28, 2006 06:11 AM
Hi everyone,

I am in my second summer at my new home and there seems to be a weed or plant destroying my lawn. Last summer the grass was in decent shape but this Spring, the grass is disappearing from one side of the yard - and it seems like it's moving towards the other side where there is still some decent grass left. Any input would be greatly appreciated as I am very frustrated at the moment.

The photos of the menace can be seen here:
Lawn help -

Thanks again everyone for your help.
bt3d
by johnCT on April 28, 2006 07:26 AM
Mouse-ear chickweed. But that's not what's destroying your lawn. Your poor turf is creating the perfect place for that weed to thrive. You need to fix what's causing your lawn to do so poorly. Most post-emergents like Weed-b-gon will knock it down, but you'll need a good pre-emergent application in the fall to keep it under control. It's already flowering and will soon go to seed. Once that happens you will have another generation to deal with.

http://www.weedalert.com/weed_pages/wa_mouseear_chickweed.htm

John - Zone 6
by bt3d on April 28, 2006 10:41 AM
Wow - I had no idea.

I thank you for this information. I have a lot to learn here.

After the fall - considering the condition of the area with the chickweed infestation (which is at least half of the back yard) - would you recommend starting the entire yard from scratch by way of renovation or sodding? I'm just trying figure out what the best course of action would be on my way to a healthy lawn back there. That one whole side seems to be just Chickweed and little areas of moss.
Thanks again for your time and help.
bt3d
by johnCT on April 29, 2006 12:54 AM
A renovation may be in order, but I would first start by getting a good soil test done. Hard to say exactly from the two pics, but the turf appears to get enough sunlight so the next thing is to get control of the soil conditions....pH, nutrients, etc. Next step would be to get a good fertilizing and herbicide program going. Another problem may be soil compaction. The best thing you can do to control weeds is to have a thick, healthy turf that is cut regularly at your mower's highest setting.

John - Zone 6
by bt3d on April 29, 2006 03:32 AM
JohnCT,

That may be one easy mistake I am making right now... mowing height. I think I may be cutting it too low. You are correct, most of the entire back yard is full sun, only a small strip on the one side (the good side! lol) is partially shaded. Would garden centers be able to make some measurements with a soil sample if I bring it to them?

Thanks again,
bt3d
by johnCT on April 29, 2006 05:51 AM
Not sure, but if they don't, they will surely know where you can get it done locally. Or check with a local county extension agent. They're very inexpensive. I send mine to UCONN. They could do it for you for six bucks if you mail the sample.

http://www.soiltest.uconn.edu/

John - Zone 6
by bt3d on April 29, 2006 06:00 AM
That's not a bad idea - I just read through the instructions there at the UCONN site. Very good, I will send multiple samples to them and see just how bad/good the soil really is.

Great suggestion (once again)!!

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Help identifying pests| Next thread: Help in Starke -- Tomatos etc »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: