The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Want to Share Pictures of My Plants and Ask A Few Questions.

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2005
by Smh023 on April 06, 2005 04:05 PM
 -
This is the plant I have in my office, I know it is some kind of tree but what is the common name for it??

-
This is my bamboo, excuse the mess. [Smile]

-
This is my snake plant, it has been this size for a while now and I have put it in a bigger pot. Would there be any reason it stopped growing??

-
I just got this plant last night at Home Depot for 3 dollars! I was so happy! I think it is some kind of ivy or in the ivy family? I do not know the common name for it? And what are its needs?

~~I have to make a continuation post bc I have too many pictures.........
by Dixie Angel on April 06, 2005 04:56 PM
Hello, again! [Big Grin]

Looks like that last one might be a syngonium species. On the plant tag I have it says it likes medium light, moderately moist soil, and average warm home temperatures.

Dianna

-
 -
by Jiffymouse on April 07, 2005 04:28 AM
ok, #1 is a schefflera or umbrella plant/tree. generic tropical house plant type. much like any of them, good light, water when dry, etc...

the bamboo looks good, only you know it isn't really a bamboo, but a draceana... they are "mislabeled" on purpose...

the snake plant (sanseveria) is trying to get its roots established again before it starts upward growth. give it time, it'll start expanding... but they do like to be a little on the root bound side... (and dry side)

i am thinking that #4 looks like some kind of anthurium. they get cheap when their blooms die because they are a lot like orchids in that they need the same kind of soil and care. (i kill them about every 2 years [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Frown] )

hope this helps!
by Smh023 on April 07, 2005 08:33 PM
Thanks Jiffymouse.

The tree I know is common; I just never knew the common name for it.
They say these are poisonous to dogs?

How come they call it "bamboo" is that the closest thing we can actually get to bamboo?

I potted the snake plant a while back and it has stayed the same size for probably about a year now? Do I need to repot it again?

The heart shaped plant, the lady at Home Depot told me they were in the ivy family. I cant remember the technical name for this plant.
But I planted this with regular potting soil? Will I kill it?
I thought I could take care of it the same as regular ivy.
by Bill on April 07, 2005 08:46 PM
I'd be willing to bet that the fourth plant is a Split Leaf Philodendron (Monstera deliciosa) thats been grown from seed. It takes a couple years before seed grown plants to begin to develop split leaves. (most Split Leafs that are sold are grown from cuttings)
[dunno]

Snake plants prefer to be root bound.

-
by Cricket on April 07, 2005 10:05 PM
I got this from Will Creed - let's hope I don't butcher the explanation too badly in the retelling. First, when you move a plant to a larger pot, visible growth slows down because the plant is sending all its energy into increasing its root mass to fill its new space. If you repotted into a much larger pot than the original (more than 2") this can take a long time.

More importantly, however, is that if you repot unnecessarily or into a too-large pot, you risk root rot, especially with plants that prefer to be on the dry side. The reason for this is when the top inch or two of the soil feels dry, the bottom soil is still moist. Roots require air as well as water; without the opportunity for the lower roots to dry out, they will rot. Over an extended period of time, as the lower roots die, the root rot will gradually spread to the upper roots, eventually killing your plant.

So if you recently repotted your snake plant into a much larger pot, you might want to consider downsizing it. Either way be very careful of overwatering. Good luck!

Cricket

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: