The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Laura's Aloe Vera email?

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2005
« Prev thread: Laundry T's&Clematis| Next thread: lavender »
Back to Thread index
by catlover on April 03, 2005 03:54 PM
Laura has an email question:

quote:
Help! I had an aloe plant my father gave me years ago. It required very little care, but never grew babies-just one large center "stalk".. I tried cutting off some of the "leaves", but didn't really know how to start them into new plants. This plant meant a lot to me as my father has now passed away and this was like a living thing he left me. Fortunately, my neighbor had aloes from my father's original and gave me some "babies". I can's get them to stand up. They keep falling over and appear to have no root system. I've tried watering from the top, the bottom, using bottled water, fertilizing, partial sun, transplanting to a shallow bowl, deeper pot, planting in special soil just for cacti-all to no avail. Can you tell me what I'm doing wrong? I live in Indiana and don't put them outside. I have them in a west window, so they don't get too much sun. I'm down to three babies from about 12.
Laura

-
 -
 -
by tkhooper on April 03, 2005 04:18 PM
How big are these babies?

According to what I've read they should be a couple inches tall.

The soil I used was plain old miracle grow and I fertilized it with the miracle grow water soluble fertilizer half strength when I watered. I watered when the top of the soil got dry. My plant is in the south window and gets lots of light all day long. This doesn't follow the fact sheets I have read but I have roots that are taller than the plant. And the roots like to spread out more than down so I have it in a wide pot now.

I am a beginner with plants but so far doing less for them is turning out better than doing more. But maybe you could take one aside and add a root hormone to it?

I hope you get them to grow. Someone will be around who can help alot more.

-
 -

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Laundry T's&Clematis| Next thread: lavender »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: