The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

BIG MISTAKE OVERSEEDING LAST FALL

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: Big mistake| Next thread: Big rock now what? »
Back to Thread index
by BIGCHIEF77 on April 06, 2006 08:00 AM
LAST FALL I OVERSEEDED MY LAWN WITH KENTUCKY 31 TALL FESCUE GRASS SEED. UNAWARE AT THE TIME THIS IS NOTHING MORE THAN CHEAP PASTURE SEED THAT IS UGLY,THICK,WAX LOOKING, AND LIGHT GREEN IN COLOR. IT REALLY STANDS OUT FROM MY GRASS THAT I HAVE NOW. I WAS SUCKERED INTO BUYING THIS BECAUSE IT SAID DROUGHT RESISTANT.I JUST DON'T KNOW WHAT TO DO NOW.I HATE THE WAY THE NEW GRASS LOOKS.I DON'T KNOW IF I WOULD BE BETTER OFF TRYING TO KILL THE KENTUCKY 31 ONE BLADE AT A TIME OR ROUNDUP THE WHOLE THING HAVE PICS AVALIBLE IF ANYONE THINKS THEY CAN HELP OR GIVE ADVICE.
THANKS FOR ANY HELP
-DAVE
by Longy on April 06, 2006 12:37 PM
Hey chief. No need to shout. (Caps lock on) ;-)
If the grass hasn't seeded and isn't a running type, you could just rototill the lot and level the surface again and reseed with whatever grass type you want. Or lay turf/sod after rototilling.
Leave the poison out of the equation if you ask me. You'll have to wait a month to see the kill rate and then probably do a followup spray and half your growing season will be gone. Then you'll still have to prepare the soil again anyway.

-
The secret is the soil.
by johnCT on April 06, 2006 07:59 PM
What size of an area are we talking about? What type of older grass do you have? Fescues don't spread as long as you don't let it get tall enough to go to seed. I would try to positively ID your current turf variety, so you don't make the same mistake twice. Either way, wait til the fall to do the renovating. It's the best time to seed.

John - Zone 6
by The Plant Doc on April 08, 2006 08:48 AM
I agree with John, as long as you keep it cut, and don't let it go to seed tall fescue should eventually thin out. If you want to make it happen quicker, power rake your lawn deeply in the late summer or early fall, and then reseed with a good blue/rye mix. If you do the repair in the spring you will just have a wonderful crop of crab grass come mid summer.

-
Mike Maier
aka
The Plant Doc

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Big mistake| Next thread: Big rock now what? »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: